Sysrestore by Xia Software (new snapshot/backup program?)

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by kupo, Jun 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kupo

kupo Registered Member

-http://www.sysnew.com/products.html
    I found this a while ago. Seems pretty interesting. Anybody can test this software?

2. PaulBB

PaulBB Registered Member

Yes, I did, what do you want to know? Pretty small app, it creates system restore points automatically and restore your system if needed. Nothing special, I don't understand why to use this instead of Windows build in restore utility.

3. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

Well, this appears to be much more potent than Windows System Restore. On the surface, it sounds like a RollBack Rx type of program, but there's so little known about it and the website doesn't provide enough info to instill any confidence (or trust)! Fwiw, it's out of China.

TS

4. Zero3K

Zero3K Registered Member

5. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Testing it out now,so far works fine on XP. :thumb:

6. Isso

Isso Developer

Testing on Windows 7 x86. Installation smooth. Easy to use interface. Restore points are taken very fast. Mounting works flawlessly.

I had some troubles with the first restore - it was restarting 4 times and was continuously asking to restore to the first restore point rather than the one that I've selected. So I finally restored the first one. May be I was doing something wrong, because the second restore went OK. Each restore requires two restarts by the way.

Overall looks to be a nice software. I'm wondering if it uses the same method as Rollback RX. The operations looks quite similar.

7. ichito

ichito Registered Member

SysRestore Pro 3.4 on Softpedia - "Excellent (5.0/5)" based on two opinions...free version "Very Good (4.1/5)" - 6 opinions...hmm
    Something a little bit strange from FAQ
    What will happen if system disk will be choosen to put snapshots and exactly the same disk will be damaged? From where will we get snapshots? :doubt:

8. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

This is how the snapshots and system restore works. They are kept on the same partition, like Rollback Rx.

Best regards,

9. ichito

ichito Registered Member

OK...but I asked because I didn't find any info that SysRestore has something like console...like in Rx or Keriver :doubt:
    I thought that its restoring feature works only in running Windows...

10. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Since I am sure this runs in the background, What does the memory consumption look like?

This looks interesting

11. aladdin

Rollback Rx is a snapshot program where as Keriver 1-Clk is a mini imaging program. So, there is no comparison between the two.

However, I have Win 7 x64 and SSD, and when I tried to install SysRestore, both the Free and PRO versions, I got BSOD on installations.

Best regards,

12. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Sorry...I don't understand you...what comparison? I did some comparison? I wrote only "something like console...like in Rx or Keriver" o_O

13. aladdin

My bad! My apologies!

BTW, you have console on boot with any imaging program.

Best regards,

14. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I tried to install the 30 day trial (PRO) it but got a:
    "BAD_POOL_HEADER - STOP: 0X00000019" Blue screen of death. As Alladin above I also have SSD and Windows 7 64 (if that has anything to do with it?)
    I´ll try it again a version or two from now :)

15. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

On my test VM RMTask.exe was running at about 7.4k.

16. loveboy_lion

loveboy_lion Registered Member

I am using it on windows 7 x64 no bsod yet and restore works well
    and it uses about 7-8 mb ram in background

17. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Thanks for specifying ram usage in your post....That is exactly what I wanted to know. Wow, 7-8 Mb is pretty light.

18. DarkPhoenix

DarkPhoenix Registered Member

Can you reinstall the Pro version after it's 30 days for another 30 days? The download size is under 4 megabytes.. I cant imagine that would have a lot of protection in it.

Heck, I can't even see how a 4 MB program works like CMT and RollbackRx. In fact there is only 1 kilobyte in size between the Free version and the paid for version.

This thing is starting to frighten me and I haven't even installed it yet. I'm one of those people who have had the exact same bad things happen with CMT and RollBackRx. They corrupted and made my whole system unrecoverable. When they worked I loved them, when the crash, the take everything with them to virtual backup Hell.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  19. Boost

Boost Registered Member

No issues or problems,gonna use it to replace Comodo Time Machine.

20. Zero3K

Zero3K Registered Member

I have two questions regarding it:

1. Can you select which snapshot to restore from or are you limited to restoring from the most recent one?

2. Is the drive that its installed on able to be backed up and restored without any issues?

21. burebista

burebista Registered Member

OK so no go for a SSD? :(

22. DarkPhoenix

DarkPhoenix Registered Member

Remember folks, the free version does not work like CTM or RollBackRx. It Only acts as a system restore replacement. You cannot reinstall the whole system from a system crash. The free version does not have the ability to access and restore a snapshot from a protected boot menu at system start before Windows loads like CTM and RollBackRx do.

If your using CTM to have that protection and ability at Boot and it's not giving you problems, stick with CTM.

Sure play with the 30 day trial of the Pro version if you want, but if you really like it over CTM you have to shell out 50 bucks.

23. 2YsUR

2YsUR Registered Member

The free version may contain all the code of the pro version with just a different limit on number of snaps and some code to initiate the boot menu.

24. CyberMan969

CyberMan969 Registered Member

$50? Seriously? Wow, this looks like a lot of money for such a basic, unpolished app. The guy who wrote this thing must be off his tiny head... The website itself doesn't inspire confidence, with spelling errors and bad English.... I mean, how hard is it to find someone to translate properly?

I hate to see claims about how such apps can keep the system safe from malware. Devious, false advertizing preying on new and inexperienced users. This thing can probably undo infections by 'dumb' malware, but it most certainly won't protect from the infection itself. I also seriously doubt that it can undo infections by more sophisticated malware. I think I'll stick with RX until CTM 3.0 is ready.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  25. 2YsUR

2YsUR Registered Member

I'm sure you are aware that RX will not protect you from a serious MBR infections.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.