SyncBack Free - New Version

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TheKid7, Dec 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

A new version of SyncBack Free was released. The current exe installer file version is 6.2.27.0. I guess that this means that there was a minor bug fix release after version 6.2.26.0.

Changes for version 6.2.26.0:
    http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/

2. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

Thanks for the update. This is my favorite backup program.

3. HAN

HAN Registered Member

4. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

I did a few tests with SyncBack and found some problems. I backup files using "mirror" mode sync. The backups are saved in two different external USB disks. I normally backup 4 different directories to each disk.

Using SyncBack, I have to define a "profile" for each directory and each disk, or 8 different profiles, too many. And there is the "letter" problem. Depending on what USB devices are connected, Windows assigns different letters to the external disks. So, the letter included in the profile may not be correct in some cases, and if this happens, the disk won´t be found, and it´s necessary to redefine the profile. But the same problem can happen in the next backup.

To avoid these problems, I prefer to work in manual mode, with no profiles. To backup a directory, I connect the disk I want to use, and select the directories manually. I now using FreeFileSync, which allows me to work in this way.

5. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Just assign the drive letter to the drives in question (permanently) using Windows Disk Management. I use drive letters M through Z and they stick until I re-assign/re-use them.

6. jnthn

jnthn Registered Member

I'm still using the old version but as far as I know, you can group each directory profile you made into a single profile and run that singular profile to run the sub-profiles (hope that makes any sense :D ). Is this feature not included in the new version anymore?

7. layman

layman Registered Member

That isn't changed in the new version. I think the new version is an improvement, but monitor closely if you update. When you install the new version, it will convert your old profiles, but I had to correct a couple of mine when I discovered the selection criteria were slightly altered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.