Symantec's view on there upcoming 2009 suite and Norton's new future technologies....

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by denniz, May 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. denniz

denniz Registered Member

Source

Source

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2008
  2. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

Did you copy and paste that? :thumbd:

3. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

Symantec's signatures go around 80-90,000. What do they think they can do with that mediocre number of threats?
    And it REALLY hopes to have a 99% detection? Hahhahahahhahahahah!

Symantec is Late. The Ultimate Security Suite is already here (or almost). It's Kaspersky 2009.

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  4. denniz

denniz Registered Member

Does it matter if I copy and pasted it? It's Symantec's view on there new suite, not my view, hence the copy/paste. And I think the topic-title and the provided source made that perfectly clear! :rolleyes:

Or would a quote have made you feel better?

5. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

Re: Symantec's view on there upcoming 2009 suite and Norton's new future technologies

Not until they improve their heuristics; as they are a long way from Avira or NOD32.

6. plantextract

plantextract Registered Member

Re: Symantec's view on there upcoming 2009 suite and Norton's new future technologies

that's the whole common missconception about signature counts. Symantec detects a lot of stuff with a generic signature name and not a specific one like other anti-viruses (kaspersky, avira, nod etc). The signature can be used to detect thousands of malware.

7. Bunkhouse Buck

Obviously it is working as they have not missed in the wild malware for years and their heuristics are decent.

8. emperordarius

Correction: they have not missed in TESTS, but in real life? I'd seriously like to put Symantec on 10 computers and fill them up with malware, and then see how much it detects. I have personal experience on Symantec not being able to detect even half of the malware on computers. Picture.exe in the pictures folder? Clean. New Folder.exe in New Folder? Clean. Grr...

We're in 2008, and not in 1998.

9. denniz

denniz Registered Member

I know there are a lot of Norton haters here on Wilders :p but I think there are some promising features that might arrive in the 2009 suite. There are hints that Symantec is gonna incorporate Norton Antibot in the 2009 version. Also they mention implementing huge whitelisting and delivering definitions in a whole new way. Also the following quote I find very interesting:

I wonder what this is gonna be all about...

10. emperordarius

Of course, you've got to see the """""""""""""""efficiency""""""""""""""" yourself to understand the truth.

11. Bunkhouse Buck

My experience is the exact opposite of yours. You obviously are promoting Kaspersky. I alternate between 7 AVs, and Kaspersky is not one of them.

12. denniz

denniz Registered Member

Number of definitions really don't say anything, vendors calculate definitions in different ways. Some vendors calculate each and every virus as a separate definition, even if they are very closely related and belong to the same family. This way vendors can achieve and advertise with very big numbers.

Other vendors just use 1 definition to detect a complete family of viruses, this way they keep there definition database much smaller, while achieving the same detection rate as vendors who use 1 definition for 1 individual virus.

13. emperordarius

I use Kaspersky because I like it, Only because in real life it was the ONLY one that kept my system (and the system of all the ones I know) clean. But I can freely say that at least other 4 antiviruses are as good at it. Ah, yeah, needless to say, Dr.Web isn't included in those 4, neither.

14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Stay on topic please.

15. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

regardless of what some people may think of norton.....

If they can produce what they claim, it will be hard for anyone, including myself, to not take another look at them.

Norton have always had the people and funds to create something that others simply can't match, we shall see....

18,000 employees vs kasperskys 600-800 vs drwebs 70 or so.

Let's wait and see what they can do.

16. Victek

Victek Registered Member

In this quote Symantec talks about improving performance, but they don't say anything about system overhead - that's been the real problem with NIS IMHO. I've never found the speed of the initial installation or LiveUpdate to be an issue. It will be interesting to see what the beta is like.

17. emperordarius

18,000 employees and updates once a day. That's a thing that needs to be improved.

18. denniz

denniz Registered Member

Norton does update checks more then once a day. But I do agree that compared with other vendors they have room for improvement here. Sometimes it will and sometimes it won't find multiple updates per day.

19. denniz

denniz Registered Member

I'm glad that Symantec recognizes the fact that signature based detection is becoming less and less usefull in it's current form, although I still believe blacklisting is a useful addition when used together with other technologies.

20. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

That doesn't mean they detect only 80,000-90,000 viruses. The figure is way beyond that as one signature can detect many variants. If you look through their virus encyclopedia, you'll see lots of descriptions that have been updated many times since their first inclusion. This will be the tweaking of adding variants to the same family.

21. emperordarius

Yeah ok, ok you're the third user that say that. No need to say that again.:D

22. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

They just want to show you that you were wrong, and a little to fast to complain.

23. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

I like the article. This man seems to know what the customer wants.
    Performance no.1, yes of course! Excellent! That's the right approach.

Hopefully, Symantec will begin the un-bloat trend in the industry and the rest will follow. And then, normal people will be able to use normal security software once again ...

P.S. I hate them for ruining Sygate, though :)

Mrk

24. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Spot on there Vic. I fully agree.

But speed for speed's sake is not something that I am interested in. Speed needs to be temperered by accuracy, ie, "more speed, less haste"...but having said that if they can do it then good for them and I think that they will get a lot of prior users (and new users) coming to them...we need to wait and see.;)

25. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

What 'un-bloat trend'? What bloated? Define bloated? NIS 2008 was certainly not bloated compared to NIS 2006 & 2007, and I would certainly not say that Avira, or KIS or KAV, just to state some that I have looked at, are bloated. They are all functionally rich and perform well.

Beware of performance for performance sake!;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.