Symantec updates 12/5/04

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Oremina, May 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

Dear Joseph,
    Re....... NIS 2003 Ver 6.0 and SNDMON.exe
    Many thanks again. I have been over and read all the posts at BBR/DSLR forum. So SNDMON.exe initiates another instance of LUcomserver.exe, so we end up with 2 instances running. I have allowed SNDMON.exe to run once, to register present programmes, and have no intention of installing further SYMANTEC products. Therefore, will now disable SNDMON.exe semi permanently.
    Although I think NIS 2003 works well, it is hefty with a file size of about 120 MB, and does consume quite a bit of CPU usage . there must be equally good products out there which are more modest in size and consumption. AND with better tech support.
    Incidentally, My virus definitions auto updated normally today........without SNDMON.exe.
    Gordon

2. jvmorris

jvmorris Registered Member

Gordon,

Just keep following that one in your spare time. It may get more interesting in the near future. (You've got a bank holiday over there and we've got Memorial Day over here, so it may be later on before things start picking up again.)

So far, I've had no users complain about the consequences of disabling SNDMon.exe, only Symantec employees.

However, as Reese noted, remember you have done this -- you may need to re-enable it at some point in the future if a future update or new product release does not install properly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.