Symantec sucks!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by bigbuck, Oct 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have over thirty five av cd's and have tried them all at one time or another

2. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Software is my drug of choice, thank you very much, security or otherwise.

I agree the security thing can be overdone, but there are always trade-offs, and it's really up to individual circumstances to determine what really is overkill.. and those circumstances are not often talked about. There are a lot of other things to take into consideration, too, such as cost: is it more "overkill" to have 5 free apps that do the same thing as one paid one? As time goes on I'm sure we'll see more consolidation, which will tone down the cries of "overkill" and "paranoia" to more subtle tones of "reasonable", and not for lack of any features or protection.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2004
  3. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:blink: :doubt: You folks are now into areas that I know less than nothing about. I do however know that I want to keep bad things off and out of my machine, and yes I want to be a cheap skate about it also.

Thanks
    Wildman
    *puppy*

4. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Wildman, we don't think your cheap - it's just that maybe you've got short arms and long pockets!!!

5. Shaker

Shaker Registered Member

said by nod32_9
    McAfee only updates once a week also. So aren't they being piggy also?

But to be fair, you can also download the dailies from McAfee as you can with NAV.

6. wildman

:oops: No, it's fixed income and more month than bucks. Have no choice but to get as much mileage from everything that I can. Live in one of the most expensive areas of the U.S.A. and can not afford to move elsewhere either. Have been playing with this machine for a while now and most all the stuff on it is freeware, don't think I have done to bad under the circumstances either.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :eek:

7. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

OK, understood - it's not too cheap here in London either; but I don't know what your doing about your phone bill? *puppy*

8. wildman

:cool: :p Dial up @ $46.50 every (3) months. Phone number for connecting is a local number, and Bob's me uncle!

Thanks
    Wildman
    :blink:

9. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Access4less costs $5.95/month. You can pay monthly using CC.

10. wildman

:eek: o_O All at one time? Talk about your over kill.

Thanks
    Wildman
    ;)

11. wildman

:D :cool: My ISP is a local guy, and a damn good guy if I do say so myself. Have received technical advice from him on more than one occasion and not once has he even hinted it should cost, said it was part of his service. These are the type of people I like to deal with and will stay loyal to, don't plan to change unless by a miracle I can some day afford DSL or Broadband, and even then I would be sad to leave this guy.

Thanks
    wildman
    :D

12. belzoni

belzoni Registered Member

Gave up on symantec also. Try AVG anti virus at //www.grisoft.com. I use the free version.

13. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

Symantec is too busy buying companies with good software (see: http://www.symantec.com/corporate/a_a.html)
    and giving those software their name,add live-update and add other @%%#@ to it.
    And then a perfect product, like ghost (etc.) was, by it's previous owner/creaters/inventors, is suddenly 2 terrabytes in disksize, can only run when Microsoft's .net Platform is installed ?, is not able to create a bootable disk, live update is added (for what o_O it is not an antivirus,does it need updates that frequently?)

In the early days 80's and first half 90's the company was creating new products, now it is buying them.
    And making bad changes to products, the support is terrible.

I've seen lot's of customers that disable NAV/NIS when they want to
    go on the Internet because it slows down their system to much.
    Terrible isn't it?

I also was using Norton Utilities in the early 80's , did you know that
    Peter Norton's famous utilities collection, which is now sold by Symantec,
    was originally written for the TRS-80?
    Only later was it ported to DOS
    TRS-80 was a TANDY system from the 1970's

One of my customers that dumped the Symantec NIS
    and is now using NOD32 ,Look'n'stop and the DiamondCS progs told me that
    it was as if he was driving a racingcar now!

Before (with NAV/NIS) it also was like driving a racingcar but...
    'then without an engine up the mountain, with the breaks on, and pulling a car with 12 elephants with square wheels'.

Perhaps in a few years Symantec will buy a tool like WINZIP (2.3 MB)
    make some changes to it, add live-update to it, requires Microsoft's .net 28.64 Platform and will be 6.5 GB large
    If you want to open a zipped .txt file of 20kb it takes 3 hours, on
    your new Multi-processor Pentium 9 4.5 TerraHZ system with 7.8 ZetaBytes Memory.
    With watercooled CPU and Memory (using a 20 Bar waterpump)
    because it now needs JAVA 64.32, must be checked via the Internet on
    their Symantec servers,AND has a new Symantec Designed compression methode that decreases the diskusage of the file with 0.0000000002 %.
    And just when your are at 99 % of opening the file, live-update is changing it to a new version ... $%#$%^$%.
    so you have to start all over again and reboot 20 times... :mad:

It is sad that the products are not just as good, as when Peter Norton
    wrote them himself before he sold the company in 1990 and grew to:

Approximately 6,000 employees.

6000 Is not precise, it is: 6002 , because Jack and Susan were forgotten,
    they ARE the customer support department.
    Susan is working parttime because of her kids (3 hours a week).
    But Jack is almost working 15 hours a week! (his main job is hairdresser)

:D :D ;

14. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Creature Tuatara,
    Good post. A whole lot of truth in it too! :D I now use less of the companys products but made a little money with their stock SYMC ;) :D

15. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Post by balthaZor removed due to violating TOS...

16. nameless

nameless Registered Member

That URL has the call ID and call date imbedded in it:

I'm sure the idiots at Symantec will know something is up if they get 1,500 different responses for the same call ID.

Then again, they probably don't care anyway. Actually, how could they possibly care, given the lousy state of their support?
    -

17. Diver

Diver Guest

Tell me something I don't already know. Have younoticed lately that a bunch of the talking heads from the magazines have been recommending Trend Micro due to their disapointment with NAV/NIS.

Symantec is not exactly a creative company. Their business plan has been to buy other software companies or products. The AV came from IBM. They were able to slap the Norton name on it. I bet Peter Norton never had anything to do with it. Their most recent major acquisiton was Powerquest.

18. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

SYMANTEC=junkware for neophytes.

19. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

This thread has really taken a turn for the worse; I won't defend Symantec and I've never used their products (never will) but the line between factual complaints in regards to the company and/or their software have given way now to pretty blatant bashing which is against the TOS here at Wilders. I think the points have all been gotten across now - so let's keep our heads please. I'm not removing/editing anything at this point.

20. nameless

nameless Registered Member

How is it against the TOS? The TOS just says you can't post anything false, defamatory (untrue), or inaccurate. I didn't do that, can't vouch for anyone else though. Someone should update the TOS to add the word "negative", if this stuff is unacceptable.

21. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Then I'll be awaiting your documented proof/evidence that the employees of Symantec are "idiots." I will also await the documented evidence that Symantec has no more than 2 employees in the consumer relations department, as well as evidence of their names and secondary occupations.

My previous statement stands - such bashing is not allowed at Wilders.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2004
  22. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

I started this thread because I was unhappy with Symantec's level of customer support over a minor subscription issue.......btw this has resolved itself.
    While I am not too unhappy with the product (Nav2003), I could not recommend Symantec as a compamy that "keeps its customers happy". Anyway, since my subscription is sorted, it looks like I am stuck with Norton for another 12 months. But!.......during that time I will be looking at other AV's and studying up on how to remove Nav altogether from my system.........apparently this is quite an arduous task!
    Thanks Detox....You can close this thread.
    Regards,
    Buck.

23. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Thread closed as per reasonable requests.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.