Symantec still installing Ask.com search ??

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Longboard, Apr 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Could I ask a favour:
    A poster in the "Comodo removed from Softpedia" thread
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=240457
    has alleged that Symantec is still installing the Ask.com search box as part of the Norton toolbar: default disabled.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1457928&postcount=222

From the posts from Ardmore and subsequent posts it is not clear to me (or to Ardmore) whether this was from Symantec or some other ( LOL: "default" ) install as it seems the Ask.com search option is also in Ardmore's FF search box options.

I have NIS up to date and no Ask.com search box or option in either FF 3.0.10 or IE7 with Norton toolbar active.

AS you are aware Symantec promised to remove the Ask.com install after the debacle of nonconsensual installs recently.

Would anyone with NIS mind checking as to if Ask.com search option is installed as part of new NIS install, disabled or not and/or still present after updating in either FF or IE when Norton Toolbar is enabled. ??

Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  2. Ardmore

Ardmore Registered Member

Give that the FF search box option for Ask specifically said "Safe Search," a term NIS uses, I would think it most likely it ended up there as a result of the NIS 2009 installation. I still have the install file from the Symantec Store website, v 16.5.0.135, dowloaded on April 29.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.