Sygate Pro to Outpost Pro

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Agent Blue, Nov 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agent Blue

Agent Blue Registered Member

For most of the past year, I've been using Sygate Pro 5.0 firewall. I've had zero problems with it and really like it. I was checking into their pricing and it appears that you have to pay full price (plus upgrade protection) each and every year. That's $47.95 per year. I think that's a bit ridiculous, I'll bet they don't get too many renewals.

I used to use ZAPro, that is until they screwed the pooch with the version 3.x monstrosity. For now, going back to ZAPro is not an option.

I've been thinking about switching to Outpost Pro, where they offer a "competitor's discount" for only $19.95. Is there anyone out there who have used both Sygate Pro and Outpost Pro and can offer their opinions? More specifically, will I have any regrets if I switch to Outpost Pro?

Thanks!

2. root

root Registered Member

Hi. You might not believe this but I am a beta tester for Outpost and a Moderator at the Agnitum forum also. :D
    Sygate is a good firewall and I used it for quite a while. I have not used version 5 though.
    Naturely I think Outpost is a great firewall. It has a few problems with XP such as fast user switching not supported and ICS is not supported on XP. It will be in version 2, which has been a long time coming.
    The best thing to do is to download the trial version of Pro and see how you like it. Most never look back, some go back to other firewalls.
    There is no one product that is perfect for everyone, so we just have to try them out and see how they fit.
    If I can be of any assistance, please let me know.

3. Lee

Lee Guest

I used to use Outpost but read some article that claimed Outpost had a vulnrability in it, is it serious or not?, I would like to go back it but am a bit unsure.

Many Thanks

Lee o_O

4. root

root Registered Member

Well, that's about as vague as you can get.
    There have been one or two people that for some reason or another felt they needed to badmouth Outpost. It makes no difference, there is no "vulnerability" in Outpost, as far as I know. It failed to pass a couple of the leak tests that freaked everyone out a few months back, but all known leak tests will be passed by version 2.
    If you hear such stuff, ask the person to please be specific about what said vulnerability is supposed to be, how it was found, can it be verified, what does it impact, and has the company been notified and given a chance to fix it.
    Please do not repeat such things that are unsubstanciated as half the time it just gets spread around - I heard there was.....

5. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

That article is crap, I have no other word for it.

I.M.O. Outpost belongs to the Top-3 of firewalls, and till yet I couldn't discover any weakness in Outpost.

That is the reason I joined the Outpost Beta Test Team, to help make Outpost firewall nr.1

6. dom424

dom424 Registered Member

Smokey, I see you use Proxomitron with Outpost Pro on XP Pro. When I put it on my computer with Outpost Pro it started rebooting, when I changed web pages or exited out of web pages. I uninstalled Proxo and everything was fine and now it has started again without Proxo on. I shut Outpost off and it is fine again. Never had any trouble with Outpost until this last week or so. Maybe some file in Outpost is corupted. I think I will download a new copy of Outpost and see what happens.

7. root

root Registered Member

The Outpost forum is the place to get excellent help with such problems.
    After you reinstall, if you are having problems, come see me and the Outpost gang and we'll see if we can't get you going.
    http://www.agnitum.com/forum/ :D

8. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

here ya go!
    http://www.agnitum.com/purchase/migrate.html
    as far as I am concerened it is NUMBER UNO!!
    you will have no regrets at all!! thats a Fact...Jack

9. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

The Wilders Forum is an excellent place too for such problems..... ;)

10. dom424

dom424 Registered Member

Hello Root, I know that the Agnitum Forum is a great place to get problems with Outpost fixed. That forum is why I purchased an Outpost Pro license and I am very happy with it.

11. Lee

Lee Guest

I am sorry if I caused offence I needed to get good advice and assurance that the firewall is OK BEFORE I GO BACK TO USING IT.

Many Thanks

Lee

12. root

root Registered Member

I apologise if I came across to harsh. I understand your desire to have more information. I was just trying to say that when people say things, some other people listen. So if you have a concern about something you read somewhere about a product, it is better to give as much information as you have, so that people don't get the wrong message.
    There are people on other boards and here sometimes that say, Outpost is crap, ZA is crap, Sygate is crap, etc, and that is to be expected, as all people don't like the same products.
    If you wish clarification on an article that said something about a product having a serious defect, please explain what article and where it can be found.
    Like I said, I was trying not to be confrontational, and I understand your position, I simply ask you to understand that spreading information across the internet gets distorted so easily.
    Outpost is not perfect and none of the other firewalls are either. When anyone finds a serious problem with a firewall, the companies want to know so they can fix it. At the Outpost forum, we encourage people to bring up issues they may find, so we do not try to hide anything.
    I hope you can undestand that I always try to show respect for for people and their opinions, but sometimes there is just no way to convey true intent in replying to posts. It is easy for words to have their intent misinterpreted, so please forgive me if I caused you any grief.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.