Sygate Pro 5.6.3408 and previous builds

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ellison64, Sep 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Anyone know for any reputable links for the sygate firewall pro builds ?.I know redjack had the builds saved at some link but that link is now dead ,and most searches return torrents,pirate sites etc.Ive had an old pentium 4 ibm pc from work (was gonna be thrown in the skip).Its running XP home 1.5 gig of ram ,and i want to use the old sygate firewall on it .I bought a license years ago for the pro and still have it.
    thanks

2. BrollyLSSJ

BrollyLSSJ Registered Member

One version is at Filehippo available. That is more or less the only one I found.

3. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Some here....
    http://www.oldversion.com/windows/sygate-personal-firewall/

Sygate Personal Firewall 5.0 4.98 MB
    Sygate Personal Firewall 5.5.2516 8.24 MB
    Sygate Personal Firewall 5.5.2525 8.44 MB
    Sygate Personal Firewall 5.5.2577 8.44 MB
    Sygate Personal Firewall 5.5.2637 8.58 MB
    Sygate Personal Firewall 5.5.2710 8.69 MB
    Sygate Personal Firewall 5.6.2808 8.80 MB

If now Sygate Personal Firewall is the same as Sygate Pro is another question. :doubt:

But if you meant a build within the 5.6 version e.g 5.6.3408 -> 5.6.3322 then that's harder to find I guess, except build 2808 from what I have found...

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  4. ellison64

Thanks everyone for replies.Im looking for the pro build,as theres a little more functionality in them.Theres no way of registering the personal version to unlock/enable the extra functions.Prbably no big deal ,but seeing as i have this old pc ,it would be nice to use the licence i had for sygate pro with it.

5. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

I can understand your feelings of not finding the pro one. I always just used the free one and if you choose to use it i recommend 5.5 2710.

RedJack told me that the 5.6.2xx versions were good too but somehow there was troubles with them. And I sort of thought that the real developer was gone and they tried to implement that XP security center recognizion which is not neccessary at all with little luck.

I miss my Sygate days and the forum too with nostalgia :)
    Darn Symantec.

6. ellison64

Yeah ,thats why i rescued this works pc from the skip ,so that i could run some of the old software.It did have xp professional on it,but it was linked to different domains as many at work was using it so i just wiped it and reinstalled xp home.Im currently running the free edition of sygate and i forgot how good it was.Im gonna search through my old disks and see if i saved a copy of the pro build somewhere.Im sure i did when redjack posted them at savefiles.Its just finding it.

7. Jarmo P

You might possibly use even an older version than what I recommended. They were all good and Sygate was a mature solid firewall at its times. Later development seemed to stagnate. Propably a good decision then to sell it to Symantec and allow it kill it since it was so popular. To get some money as a competition killed.

Sygate always had the local proxy issue if running one like for instance Avast antivirus, same as Windows 7 firewall has even today. Otherwise it was fine.

The 5.6 versions had some stability problems, at least the GUI was sometimes late to appear if not the firewall service. I also got the graphical user interface sometimes garbled.

Remember to not allow Generic host process, svchost.exe as a server. I guess you know that already, just reminding. Most other programs don't need that too but them are not as much a security risk. Time sync. clock update you won't get if not making a hole to 123 UDP for both remote and local ports in an advanced incoming rule for svchost.exe. And you can allow it just for the manual PC clock update times.

I think you are better protected with good old Sygate than the XP windows firewall and anyways it is much more fun :)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  8. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

9. ellison64

Thanks for the pro link lonewolf.Ive actually found a copy of the 5.6.3408 build ,after searching through loads of old cds i have,so im gonna make sure i keep these two versions.Also found a nice 124 page .pdf on sygate pro 5.5 ,so im now a happy bunny.Thanks again to everyone.

10. ellison64

Ive just installed the 5.6.3408 pro version ,and just to confirm windows xp service pack 3 security centre does recognise the firewall,so if you need this build let me know.

11. Jarmo P

If I still had my XP.

If I remember right all the Sygate 5.6.xxxx builds actually had that recognizion. What I mean't was that implementing it seemed to cause some stability issues to the firewall as a side effect. Hope your 5.6.3408 version works well.

12. ellison64

Thanks for the info.Seems to be working fine so far.Its easy to forget how good and informative the prompts for outbound apps was in sygate.I like how it resolves the remote ip addresses to a name and also shows the binary dumps of the packets.I installed an app (peazip) and the sygate popups showed remote connection to opencandy stuff,I forgot that this is bundled with some programs.Ive installed peazip on newer os with other firewalls ,and not sure whether ive seen that shown before.

Attached Files:

13. bcsman

bcsman Registered Member

Used to have this a number of years ago and really liked it. I now have an installation of XP SP3 and want to reinstall. It went fine but keeps asking me to register the free version but takes me to a Symantec site that gets me nowhere. Is there still a way to register the free version to keep from getting the popup?? Wonderful program even yet....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.