Sygate Personal Firewall PRO 5.5

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by SG1, Jan 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

I don't know if I have to or need to do this, & I've never messed about with creating rules in this firewall - but if one's ISP pings you to see if you're still there/online, is there a way to set their certain IP #s in a so-called "accepted" range to the f'wall, so it doesn't see their ping as some sort of intrusion or attack?

I ask about this as, with running x no. of security apps while online, being "hidden" or "protected" behind the defense line - I wondered if the ISP is always aware that your PC's still there & online. {I assume that is the case right now, using their dialer, but sometimes I have used XP PRO's wizard to create dialer... and I don't know if it's all one and the same to the ISP, or not}?

"Pointers, links to info, or screenshots for dummies" are welcome regarding how-to make rules, if needed, in this particular firewall.
    * The above has to do with dialup connection, if that makes a diff. one way, or another.

Thanks for any help/info,
    Cheers, SG1 (Pat)

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi,
    Go to Advanced Rules.
    Add new rule.
    Give it a name - Allow ISP Ping.
    Now, I'm at work and don't remember all tag names correctly:
    But specifiy the remote address for your isp - domain name or ip address.
    Select the card through which this connection will happen (usually default).
    Protocol - select IMCP - select the ping from a list.
    Application - leave all blank.
    Click OK and you're set.
    BTW, they don't need to ping you to know you're online.
    If you use DHCP, they'll know you're online by the assigned address vs. your MAC - which defines you as unique client. If you use VPN to dial, you'll still be indentified, since your username and password are unique.
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.