Switching Hard Drives

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jthom, Jul 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jthom

jthom Registered Member

How do you put on image of a hard drive that is partitioned onto a different and larger hard drive that is not partitioned.

Jay

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, jthom

Ti will do the same [format] file system that is in the Image [that was in use at the time of when you had Ti Create the Image] so there is no need to have a Formatted HDD, if a HDD has a Partition with a file system,Ti will delete it or them to make enough room, when it restore the Image.

In other words Ti will take care of your formatting and Partitioning of it for you.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

3. powerchuck

powerchuck Registered Member

I am in the process of doing just this and it doesn't seem to be working for me.

I had a 20 GB HD on a Dell C810 Laptop running Win2K Using the latest build of TI 8 (903 i believe) I made a backup image to my 300GB Seagate backup drive. When I restore that image to my new 40GB harddrive on the Dell C810 it thinks its still a 20 GB HDo_O? I tried the new disk utility which deleted the old partition and made it a 40GB drive (37 actually) but when I restore to that TI makes it 20 GB again.

What's the trick I'm missing?

4. TheQuest

Hi, powerchuck

Are you sure it is not only seeing what is being used [restored Image], with no unallocated disk after it,

In other words did tell Ti to you resize your restored Image to fit the new 40g HDD.

Take Care,

5. powerchuck

powerchuck Registered Member

There was lots of unallocated disk - but also unaccessable. I read another post that gave me the insight - I had to make a clone (wiping out my previous backups) onto the 300GB external disk then make a clone back to the new 40GB disk - this time TI gave me the ability to make the partition for the C drive the full 40GB (actually 38 or so). So I am in business - that worked now I am defragging the new 40GB (the old image at 19.+ GB of a 20GB drive was very fragged but without 15% space couldn't be defragged). Then I will do a fresh backup on the 300 GB after re-partitioning it - then back up the other computer - whose back-up I had to kiss good bye to be able to create a clone.

Live and learn - the forums are great but I wouldn't say as much for the documentation.

And on my wish list would be a way to change the partition size when restoring if the target disk is larger than the original - not just when cloning!

6. TheQuest

Hi, powerchuck

I do sure what you mean? if you mean when restoring from an Image you already have the choice.

Take Care,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.