Swiss Vpn Leaving ports open

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by mike70sk, Jul 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

No, it doesn't. It would help a determined attacker identify you. But you would need to attract serious attention before such issues would matter very much.

I doubt that this is a BolehVPN problem. I'm sure that I would remember if I saw open ports or unexpected VPN servers with BolehVPN.

2. mike70sk

mike70sk Registered Member

I wanted to make sure there were no problems on my end software related so i reinstalled windows. I switched to open dns and this appears to have solved the BolehVPN dns leakage problem.

In regards to the open ports it appears to be a hardware issue with my router, other people with this router have had this port shown as open. When the vpn is on it show up as open but when not its stealth. I will have to investigate more about trying to close this port, based on what i read so far people were having problems doing this. I added rules inbound and outbound in windows firewall but made no difference.

So if my port 22 is open when using vpn, does this leave a big security breach for people scanning open ports?? Would it take great difficulty to gain access through this port??

Getting a different brand router may be an option too.

:) thanks again!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  3. mirimir

I still don't understand this. Let's say that your router is listening on port 22 for remote management connections. In that case, GRC's ShieldsUP! should see port 22 open when you're not using VPNs. But when you connect to VPNs from your computer, I don't see how that open port gets forwarded through the VPN via your computer.

Oh, wait. Maybe I do. If your router is running sshd with "GatewayPorts" set to "yes", and if your computer is connecting to the router via PuTTY or whatever, I can see how GRC could see the router's port 22 through the VPN. But because GRC can't see the router's port 22 with no VPN connected, the router must be exposing port 22 only on LAN (which is a good thing).

See if there's anything in your router's manual about "GatewayPorts".

4. mike70sk

Ok i went though the manual and used the router interface and looked around and i can't find anything. I googled closing port 22 and disabling ssh and still nothing. Also i noticed in a post i made when i tested Mullvad that port 22 was open.

So i was all ready to go to best buy and see if another router would do the trick. Then i thought of something, to test it with out a router, and i still got dang port 22 open on all the servers i tested.

I cant see how the problem is my end, i haven't changed anything on my end with windows. Would a 3rd party software firewall or another router make any difference ?

with a port scanner and a brute force attack is it easy as pie for hacker??

5. mirimir

OK, then it's clear that something on your Windows 7 box is listening on port 22. Are you running any services or apps that might be doing that? Are you using an authentic Windows install disk?

Blocking port 22 in the router wouldn't help, because it's getting forwarded through the VPN. Blocking it with a software firewall (even Windows) should work, as long as the rules apply to the VPN interface. But maybe services are exempt from firewall rules. You might want to ask about this in "other firewalls".

It depends on what's listening on port 22, and how well it's secured. Given that you apparently don't know what that is, it's a concern.

6. focus

focus Registered Member

Windows 7 built in Performance Monitor -> Network will detail the listening ports and which applications are using them.

7. mike70sk

Hey just an update, i started using Conodo firewall, has an option to stealth, about half the servers have port 22 closed and the other half open. don't know it that cus of the firewall or the fact that i brought this to there attention.

My copy of windows is not genuine in the traditional sence I know that lots of people using it and i obtained a copy. I guess its possible that could have something to do with. I cant really afford to buy a oem windows 7 at the moment. I would try with windows 8 evaluation legit copy, but i am pretty sure at the moment the vpn is not supporting windows 8.

In order for someone to get into my computer they would first have to break though the vpn to try to to attack the open port? Is this a correct assumption?

Thanks for the info on the windows Performance Monitor i will play around with that and see if i cant to the bottom of it

cheers

8. mirimir

It's possible that someone added something that's listening on port 22.

No, they wouldn't need to "break through" the VPN, any more than GRC needed to do so in order to see the open port. And, if they have the credentials, they wouldn't need to "the open port", just use it.

You could set this up as a honeypot, and see what happens ;)

9. mike70sk

ok so i fired up the vpn and verified port 22 was opened and started performance monitor, watched it for a while and went back to it often.

At no time have i seen port 22 under the listening ports and nothing under tcp connections.

Do i need to run the vpn for a long time and generate a report from performance monitor?. I tried goggling to create a report but have yet to find how to do it. If its necessary to generate a report, can anybody give me a hint on how to go about thiso_O?

thanks

10. mirimir

I don't use Windows much now, and don't know how to get reports from performance monitor.

Maybe it's your router that has port 22 open, listening only on LAN. But then, I don't get how that open port would get forwarded through SwissVPN.

Try running nmap on your Windows box, and see what shows up. Add another computer to your LAN, and run nmap on it. That should tell you which device has port 22 open.

11. mike70sk

well i did block the port on the router, and also i did run a scan with no router, just the cable modem and in both cases 22 was still open, but i still don't know what it means ?, i only have one desktop computer, and an android tablet, so i cant run it on another computer, maybe its time to look for another vpn that allows a different protocol.

12. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I haven't read the whole thread, but port 22 is for ssh. I don't see why you're worried. If you've ever used Putty, it opens port 22. Many VPN providers use software that opens port 22. What exactly is it you're concerned about?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.