svchost

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by set321go, Apr 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. set321go

set321go Registered Member

hello

im running vista with jetico.

Are there any generic ports or ip's that svchost uses. i would like to bundle together some or all of the rules jetico has created for the many instances of svchost.

When i allow a program indirect network acess, how is it connecting to the internet?

2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hello set321go,

I do not currently run Vista (I have installed, but then removed (my current hardware is not 100% compatible)).

Allowing "indirect network access" does not actually mean that "that" application will connect to the internet, it just implies that it could.
    For example,.. consider a screen graber (an application that can take a screen pic), this application, to function fully, will need to inject a global hook into all applications (so screen grabs can be made while running that/any app),..... so,.... you have the screen graber running, you execute/connect to the internet with your browser,.. the screen graber will attempt to inject/hook into your browser so screen grabs can be made online/via the browser, this is seen by Jetico as "indirect access", which is correct, as it is, in an indirect way, accessing the internet.

3. set321go

set321go Registered Member

thanks for that. nice explanation. Im quite liking vista yeah its really buggy incompatible with loads of software memory hungry and bloody hold ur hand boxes all the time. Personally i dont expect anything microsft relases to work properly for at least six months if not a year, but hey we sill buy the stuff they churn out(min u i only got it coz i bought it OEM) but it actually looks quite nice!!

svchost is jst starting to anoy me and im getting to the point of making a rule for it to do anyhing but i think that would b a very bad idea, it has its finger in to many pies making it easier to exploit (in my opinion)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.