svchost and internet

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by argus tuft, Mar 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. argus tuft

argus tuft Registered Member

Hi all, basically I was wondering if svchost needs internet access. Will windows update stop working if i deny it access? Will anything of importance occur if i do this? I ask because when I used to use comodo i would often get a warning about an app that I had denied internet access (mostly itunes, but also quite a few others) was using OLE automation through svchost to connect, and would like to stop this happening if possible. (I'm not using comdo ATM, but will go back when my AV suite license expires in a few weeks)
    As far as I'm concerned deny should mean exactly that, and I'd like to stop any 'unauthorized' access if possible.
    Thanx in advance

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

svchost has many functions including: time synchronization, dhcp/dns, windows update.

if u disable unnecessary services, u may reduce the number of svchost processes running and reduce the prompts.

3. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Yeah i believe Stem mentioned that by disabling certain services you can completely eliminate svchost from needing to connect out.

4. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

This may not answer the question but the free program process explorer from sysinternals will tell you what services each svchost represents.

5. itsmej

itsmej Registered Member

I was told a long time ago its not needed ,and have from then on never allowed it to run ..iterfears with zipp all ,update,links surf,its just a extra ms peace of junk.generic host a ather one,client server ather one ,win log in ,
    user nett logon, win explorer , do nothing but store logs on your pc and run junk files,send out info ,( some leak out info ) dont need any to run ..
    all are blocked from acccess ,and server, trusted and internett ,(fire wall rules..)
    look depends on how one feels here ,half of Xp and ather MS os 95 to last XP , can be hacked out cut in half ridding useless Ms junk ...or what one thinks is Junk , and it makes no differance running on the nett .stops a lot of back ground links, and snooping,logs made, and it can be made to set it as a unknown opperateing system, or unknows protacals ,running as seen by the nett, reason Why ? its very hard to hit a pc , that has a unknown System ,as a attackker cant know what to hit ,as if say he were to scann cant see your system (unknown) and see whats there to hit .or use it agianst you withinbiult programs like JAVA .MS player , MS IE , shareings, MS CHAT and So on..any how thats a ather story ....
    .but updateing a OS cant be done ! any ather program installed can...

Last edited: Mar 9, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.