Surveillance Hardware & Rootkits Doxed by WSJ

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by SteveTX, Dec 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

"Documents obtained by the WSJ open a rare window into a new global market for the off-the-shelf surveillance technology that has arisen in the decade since the terrorist attacks of Sept 11, 2001."

A huge cache of all their sales documents, talking about SSL MiTM, undetectable rootkits, and more. Very impressive stuff.

See it for yourself.

2. x942

x942 Guest

I'm calling FUD on this one before I watch the whole video. Why? Because everything mentioned so far has either been known for years or is so easy a script kiddie could pull it off. Really? You can intercept WiFi provided the password is weak? So can anyone else using the right tools (which are free and open source), You can hack into a computer? I can too; it's called Metasploit. Rootkit? A little harder but nothing new. Fake hotspots? Anyone can do that too. MITM? same thing.

While it is scary, I think in this case at least the government is the least of your worries. Any 13 year old can pull most of these attacks (with the exception of the rootkit ).

I also laugh at how the images from the so called "secret" sites are from well known spy sites (where you can buy spy gear).

3. Ranget

Ranget Registered Member

FUD Malware and Rat now days is getting sold for 20$ or less

4. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

If you are thinking these are simple or old technologies than anyone can implement, I do not think you have understood the documents that were provided. These are amazing technologies and often radically new techniques. While many of these technologies take their origins from cybercrime, they have been adapted and augmented from the data access level of a "script kiddie" to the god-like infrastructure access level of governments and ISPs.

These aren't tools for wifi hacking or stealing bank accounts. These are tools for complete and undetectable control over all data across all devices and networks.

5. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

I'm NOT being funny, but does that include your ZeroBank ?

6. Ranget

Ranget Registered Member

Dude really if that is true
    every thing will change!!!!
    I'm really amazed why there is no Laws and other stuff to protect us
    I'm mean really when this whole mess gonna end
    it's like we are in the wild west running around getting robbed and our privacy violated
    every day we here about a Rootkit of some kind from the beginning of the internet till now
    we just seeing the problem Getting worse and worse every day
    in the beginning there was an internet browser and some viruses
    Now there is facebook there is IM there is life being ruined By FUD
    i mean when all of this will end
    Look at this from another angel we here at WS all that we discuss is security
    but what a 12 years Old kid will do or 50 years old women
    and the worse than that is that we are forcing them to go on the net
    Look few years Back no one know what social sites is
    and Now every TV show has a Facebook page with Extra episodes on it
    i mean we are barely able to stop script kiddie and hackers
    how can we stand against Governments
    anyway Gov use that to catch criminals ?? how can be sure ?
    what about G that o ver u sing t hier p owers ? they will use it against t heir p eo ple
    also wouldn't be long after hackers going after those firms that create such stuff something like anon or other hacker group
    will hack those firms and get the Blueprint for such devices
    we will have also another problem in our hand

i mean after all what can we do to protect our self o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.