Surfing Profile or not?

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Dodds, Jun 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dodds

Dodds Guest

I apologise right from the start if I don't make a lot of sense but I've only had a computer for a couple of months and am still groping around in the dark!
    Anyway, I recently uninstalled a program and went into the registry to delete any obvious keys relating to it (risky with my limited knowledge).
    While there, I noticed that every (or at least the vast majority) web site I have ever visited was listed, either by name or IP address. Now this may or may not be legitimate and have a valid use but it does negate my efforts at deleting temp. internet files, history, index.dat files, url's etc. etc. as there is a surfing profile of me being built in the registry and if I can find it then so can a third party individual or application.
    The path (xp home) is:
    HKEY_USERS>S-1-5-21-516116760-720897496-4103935507-1006>Software> Microsoft>RAS Autodial>Addresses
    I would appreciate if anyone could throw any light on this and also confirm if I can delete the 'Addresses' key (with it's sub keys) or am I asking for trouble?

Thanks
    Dodds

2. Metallica

Metallica Guest

You can´t delete the entire key without compromising your connection.
    You can remove addresses from that list and what you also can do is add addresses to the disabled list:
    1. Start the registry editor (regedt32.exe not regedit.exe)
    2. Move to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\RAS Autodial\Control
    3. Double click on DisabledAddresses and add the address on a new line. Click OK when finished
    4. Close the registry editor
    You will need to reboot for the changes to take effect.

WARNING: Before making manual changes to your registry, make a backup, so you have something to go back to in case of errors.

3. Dodds

Dodds Guest

Thanks very much for responding Matallica.
    I appreciate your help and will take your advice.

Dodds

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.