Surfing Profile or not?

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Dodds, Jun 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dodds

Dodds Guest

I apologise right from the start if I don't make a lot of sense but I've only had a computer for a couple of months and am still groping around in the dark!
    Anyway, I recently uninstalled a program and went into the registry to delete any obvious keys relating to it (risky with my limited knowledge).
    While there, I noticed that every (or at least the vast majority) web site I have ever visited was listed, either by name or IP address. Now this may or may not be legitimate and have a valid use but it does negate my efforts at deleting temp. internet files, history, index.dat files, url's etc. etc. as there is a surfing profile of me being built in the registry and if I can find it then so can a third party individual or application.
    The path (xp home) is:
    HKEY_USERS>S-1-5-21-516116760-720897496-4103935507-1006>Software> Microsoft>RAS Autodial>Addresses
    I would appreciate if anyone could throw any light on this and also confirm if I can delete the 'Addresses' key (with it's sub keys) or am I asking for trouble?

Thanks
    Dodds

2. Metallica

Metallica Guest

You can´t delete the entire key without compromising your connection.
    You can remove addresses from that list and what you also can do is add addresses to the disabled list:
    1. Start the registry editor (regedt32.exe not regedit.exe)
    2. Move to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\RAS Autodial\Control
    3. Double click on DisabledAddresses and add the address on a new line. Click OK when finished
    4. Close the registry editor
    You will need to reboot for the changes to take effect.

WARNING: Before making manual changes to your registry, make a backup, so you have something to go back to in case of errors.

3. Dodds

Dodds Guest

Thanks very much for responding Matallica.
    I appreciate your help and will take your advice.

Dodds

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.