Support.com Acquires SUPERAntiSpyware

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by SUPERAntiSpy, Jun 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Well, in the event they do say farewell to that model of business, I won't be shocked. It's just not a sustainable model anymore, imho.

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Perhaps, but I wonder how often it was even seen. It would certainly do no damage now, but I bet if it were brought to their attention, some person would be palming their face :D

3. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Was diamondcs not able to do a takeover?

4. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

Of course we will honor lifetime licenses and the free edition isn't going away - Support.com is a great company, with great people, that's the only reason this made sense!

You will see some exciting things ahead!

5. Spooony

Spooony Registered Member

This was updated last in 2010
    http://www.support.com/about

And
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Support.com

Thats the history of support.

I wish you best of luck and all the best for the future.

6. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Stop this BS, please. Nobody knows what will happen just in 1 second ahead this moment. All we can say for sure are the thing that ALREADY HAPPENED.

7. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Isn't it possible to have a civil and meaningful discussion without resorting to this sort of vitriol? :thumbd:

I think the intent of the statement was clear even if no crystal ball was available.

8. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

OK. you are right, the same idea could be stated in more civil way, I'm sorry, but I stay with the idea, nevertheless :)

9. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Thanks, Alex. Certainly you are entitled to your doubts, and I'd be disappointed if the license I paid for a couple of years back turned out to be worthless later on...but I don't think there's really anything to be gained by pointing fingers or casting aspersions at this juncture.

I appreciate your reply. :thumb:

10. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

That's pretty much exactly what the Ewido guys said.

Certainly you Nick, know more than I do about the situation.

But I stand by my prediction.

It has nothing to do with SAS or you, but just a prediction based on the nature of companies, acquisitions, and profit in a competitive online security environment.

SAS (as we know it) will not be around long.

11. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

As for me it never was a problem to find a common ground between the people. Sometimes it was a problem to find a common ground between an employee and an employer :) In most cases this common ground required to lie to the people :(

12. SoCalReviews

SoCalReviews Registered Member

Nick, Thank you for all the years of being the force behind SAS. I hope that SAS continues to improve under support.com. After all the hard work building SAS up it is good to hear that your effort is paying off with some reward. Almost all my SAS installs are lifetime paid subscriptions. I have recommended SAS countless times to many other friends and family members. I probably have twelve subscriptions myself and have promoted up to ten others to be purchased over the last five years. I just purchased two new lifetime subscriptions in the past few months. SAS has come to the rescue to recover systems more times than I am able to count. I hope you are able to continue the good work and improve SAS well into the future. I also hope that the lifetime subscriptions are honored. Best of luck working with support.com to keep SAS going strong.

13. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Awesome!! Love suprises

14. Rednose!

Rednose! Registered Member

Nick,

Congratulations to you and the whole SAS Team. And enjoy your holidays :)

Greetz, Red.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  15. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Ditto

16. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

But, why are you folks against the acquisition? Or, isn't about the acquisition, but rather the acquirer itself?

17. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Paranoia and the usual ranting without fact checking. They've seen Counterspy go, they've seen ClearCloud DNS go, they're making assumptions that past aquisitions won't be any different from future ones. It ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ some people off when things change. They'll either get over it or stop using the product, as really, whether they holler until they are blue in the face, those are the only two choices they have.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2011
  18. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Acquisitions aren't always nefarious. Someone mentioned Ewido, which was acquired by AVG.

I can also refer Exploitation Labs (Explabs) that was also acquired by AVG sometime ago. Explabs offered two versions. A free one and a paid one. The free one is what we now know as the Search-Shield component of AVG LinkScanner. The paid version was what we know as AVG LinkScanner.

AVG didn't kill LinkScanner. They actually provided it for free, and still do. The Search-Shield component (blacklist component) could be better, but... overall, not a bad product.

I don't wish to go way off-topic, but just to show that acquisitions aren't always bad.

19. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Do they still exist?

20. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening ! Great news in confirming that Good Guys do finish first. All the best to Nick and all the hardworking team at S.A.S. Sincerely...Securon

21. emsisoft

emsisoft Security Expert

Maybe it's the experience that many of us made with acquisitions in the past.

Truth is, they're dangerous - always. For both sides.

A buyer expects to profit from an acquisition e.g. by one or all of the following points:

- Growing the development team/acquire knowledge and benefit from code share synergies, get more overall efficiency
    - Additional revenues with cross/up-sells
    - Growing the user base
    - Strengthening the own brand with additional products
    - Completing a product portfolio

A seller usually expects one of the following points:

- Grow the project with additional sales power from the acquirer and stay involved with the project
    - Get cash in order to be able to focus on other things and say good bye to the project
    - Sometimes companies are sold because the business model reached a peak with a market saturation and selling is the only option to 'get more'.

The point is, if one of these things are not well communicated by both sides, there is a risk that it will fail (or at least not succeed as expected) on the long run. E.g. if the acquirer is not able to get synergies because the technology is completely different to the in-house stuff or if the new team members are unable to integrate themselves in the team for any reason. I'm aware of several scenarios where the key persons left the company a while after the acquision for good reason.

Another show stopper could be if the acquirer already has a similar technology. It's sometimes better to dump one of the projects and focus on the main one. We've seen different acquisitions in the past that might fit into that description, such as Ewido and other products that stopped right after the acquisition. This is of course worst case for customers who bought lifetime licenses, but maybe the only chance for a buyer to survive or get the results he wants.

I hope that Nick considered all possible worst case scenarios carefully before signing the deal. Anyway, I wish them all the best for their personal and the product's future!

22. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

I wish Nick (and his crew) and support.com all the best for the future and I hope we will experience a win-win situation after the takeover.

Gerard

23. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Bottom Line: :thumb:

24. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

:rolleyes: Remember you read it here first.

25. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

It's a business decision, and the Support.com purchase of SAS may be different, but history indicates differently, not that long ago Commodo took over BoClean we know how that all ended. :ouch:

Nancy and Kevin are into other things now, but still we as end users lost something we really liked to use. Time will tell...:doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.