Superantispyware Pro real time protection

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Threedog, Jan 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I have used SuperAntispyware Free for a long while, but I just installed the latest RC Full Version and its like its not even there. I still have Avast Home and Comodo Pro 3.0 installed, but I wanted to try SAS for RealTime usage because of this thread. I'm glad I did and I gotta say if the System Tray Icon ever changes, this may be the first paid security program that I would truly consider purchasing.

2. fcukdat

fcukdat Registered Member

IRC on Pro under preferences>General and Startup

You can uncheck the box so *no* icon appears in the system tray;)

3. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

I like the little beetle or what ever it is. It's certainly more astetically pleasing than some tray icons.

4. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Hey fcukdat. (I always try to be careful whenever I type your user name. LOL.) Thanks for the earlier info on SAS, much appreciated. As far as System Tray Icons go though, I just love seeing them down there by my Network Connection Icon. There are some I just don't like however, like a-squared's and unfortunately SAS's. Who knows maybe Nick will decide on something else other than a beetle. Hey I got it. How about the "SuperAntiSpyware Icon being a Volkswagen Beetle, and then it could be a picture of a Super Beetle. LOL. Come on you know you want to laugh at this silliness. Anyway, the beetle, bug or whatever it may be, is all right, but I really do think it needs to be changed to match what is a top shelf security software.

5. Sigid

Sigid Registered Member

I used to use SAS Pro with real time protection. Worked well, and had little effect on total system performance, but I had a different problem with it:
    The auto-update feature never worked. At all. The only way to keep this up to date was to manually request it - and almost every time I did, there were updates found that SAS had not done by itself. An odd thing, huh?
    And I also found twice (out of a few hundred attempts) that requesting a manual system scan found things which I would have expected the real time protection to have already caught. Again, I cannot explain this...

6. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

Did you submit a support request to us? Were you using the Free Edition? If so, it doesn't have the auto-definition updates. We can certainly assist you. 99.99% of the time that definitions can't be updated is because a firewall is blocking SUPERANTISPYWARE.EXE from accessing the net - in Zone Alarm users sometimes have to remove and re-add it as, for some reason, Zone Alarm doesn't properly allow all TCP/UDP traffic even when fully trusted.

As for items that were not detected in real-time, do you recall what they were? I would be more than happy to investigate!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  7. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

I just tried 4.0 Pre-Release and I'm so impressed that I bought a lifetime license. 29.90$ isn't so bad price for that :D

-MikeNAS

8. Sigid

Sigid Registered Member

@Nick -
    Please do not misunderstand; I was not complaining, just being factual.

I used to use the registered version of SAS on two machines (two licenses!) and I currently use it on only one. Neither machine ever updated successfully on an automatic basis, but both will update (only) when specifically told to do so.

One machine has Sunbelt Firewall, but the SAS exe file had been given full permissions. The other machine has the WinXP firewall which doesn't work on outgoing anything anyway.

I am sorry but did not make note of the specific items that were caught on manual scan which the Real-Time appeared to have missed. As I said, this event was very rare. And no, I did not submit a report to tech support at SAS; never occurred to me to do so - I just assumed the feature did not work properly but since the work-around was plain and simple, no problem...

9. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

No problem at all, I just wanted to make sure you know that you can always contact us and we will work hard to help resolve any problem you are having with our software or an infection!

10. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Just curious if SuperAntiSpyware Pro reverts to the free version after 30 days? I would love to purchase this app and would if I had the money, but for now the 30 day trial will have to do. LOL. I'm actually using the Pre Release version 4.0.1114 of it, and it's running beautifully with Avast Home and ThreatFire. Now if there was just a way to change the look of the System Tray Icon. LOL. Hey Nick, any chance of this happening?

11. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

Hay Wordward....are you a member of the anti-beetle coalition or sumptin. Ya keep wantin to deep six the beetle in the tray!!!! :D :D

12. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

I have to be honest, I too have a dislike of the SAS beetle, why I don't know...it's just me. I do hope Nick does update the look of SAS in the future and the tray icon, but I KNOW detection and under the hood technology is more important, but the looks of windows 98 are over, hehe (sorry I had to :p )

P.S.

I love SAS :D :cool:

13. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

It does not revert if you are using the Professional, but you can uninstall it and install the Free Edition.

As far as the icon and look, after 3 years on the market changing the look and feel would likley have a negative response as our current and growing user base of 5 million users are quite happy with it and used to it. :)

There are those that don't like it, but the bottom line is what a product detects and removes..........I would think.

14. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

True very true:)

15. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

On the other hand, perhaps a change in the icon would entice yet another 5 million people to use it. One of them being me. LOL. Seriously though. Ashampoo Antispyware 2.0 which is based on a-squared's IDS technology can be had for 10.00 dollars. However, the icon the previous version had was a turn off. I'm not sure if they changed it in the new version, but if they did I wouldn't hesitate to shell out 10 bucks for what is a very decent antimalware program. Obviously though I rather have SAS because of the great support, and would pay 10.00 bucks more for it. But as far as the beetle for an Icon, I just wish there was a poll taken to decide if it should be changed. I mean come on. Even Spyware Terminator has a shield. LOL.

16. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

So, if you didn't like the look of an ambulance, would you lay dying in the street? :) I specifically stayed away from shields, etc. etc. to try an differentiate us from other security related products so users would easily know which one was SUPERAntiSpyware - and see, even those that don't like the icon know which product it is..... :)

17. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Wow. That's quite a leap isn't it? Going from the way a System Tray Icon looks to Ambulances and laying dying in the street. LOL. Let me ask you a question. If someone loves SAS, but doesn't like the System Tray Icon. Would you still call an ambulance for them if they needed one? LOL. Or even better still. If someone like me, who is currently without the extra funds needed to purchase such a great Antispyware program as SAS, would promise to quit harping about the looks of its System Tray Icon. Would you PM him a free 1 years license? LOL.

18. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

A kind word for SAS developer:

You develop a product from its incubator, and luckily it becomes what it is today, you should feel very proud and I certainly believe you DO. But...

SAS is not perfect now and will not stay so in the future. Your SAS perhaps is one of the best AS for now, BUT there are still some rooms for IMPROVEMENTS.

If I were you, any suggestion from anyone either paid users or free users, I would not take them very lightly, let alone to amuse them. This is one the reason I still stay as a free version user. I do like the product and the tech support associated with it, other than those, a big question mark.

Take care.

19. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

Thanks for your comments. Being a professional software developer for over 25 years, I fully understand what it takes to create, maintain and advance a software product. No software product is ever "done" - but we also won't create bloatware. We carefully evaluate each and every user suggested item and internally suggested items from our team when we implement each new product release. We have to determine what is best for the product, our brand, and the majority of users - unfortunately we can't implement every wish-list item - believe me, we have a list 1000 items long from our own staff in addition to the list of user-suggested items. :)

We are constantly creating new technology, methods, procedures, tools and implementations to detect and remove the newest threats that are appearing daily - that is, and will always be, our focus as that is what the product is designed to do.

20. BG

BG Registered Member

Nick ... I like the beetle. Keep it the same. I can quickly differentiate it from other AS when boxes come into my shop.

Happy SAS user!

21. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Well sure someone with BG as their user name would love a beetle. LOL. I will say the Pre Release version is running so smooth I can't tell it's there. (except for that darn bettle icon. LOL.) It updates without a hitch and from what a few Wilders members that tested it have said, it is quite effective at preventing infection. Also I took no offense from you Nick. I saw the smiley in your post. Maybe a different color for the beetle would be a good compromise? Or a free 1 year license. LOL.

22. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, Nick

Thank your acknowledgement of my opinion.

Usually, it would necessitate a person in your current capacity a lot of courage and wisdom to be at the receiving end and to provide a kind reply.

I am fully aware that I may have a good chance to get your ears, I would not even entertain an idea to do the same to a BIG BOX developer, normally in that case, ordinary citizen's opinion does nine of ten times fall into deaf ears.

SAS under your direction, I am sure it will evolve into an even better and better application, we as home users are so lucky to have you and your products around.

Take care.

23. Ngwana

Ngwana Registered Member

That is great Nick!

I think the idea behind ‘shields’ has more to do with ‘modular’ design than anything else. The rationale is that each shield can be enabled/disabled individually depending on configuration need. Whether the they work is a different story, but an obvious downside is that the more shields get activated the greater the likehood of using more resources.

Of course the shields are meant to deal with ‘prevention’, or to intercept infections/infiltration. There is no problem in focusing mainly on detection/removal, but we have to accept others may try prevention too. There is no limit as to what a developer can do or not do, as one may choose to build protec tion without use of ‘shields’. I hope no one will get an idea that developers who chose to use ‘shields’ are weak in any way, but any design or architecture can be bettered. :cool:

24. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

I just purchased a license and the program crashed with direct disk access turned on-but the program told me to uncheck it (which I did) and now everything is running well.

I tried the free version which was fine and decided to test pre-release 4.0. Looks like a good supplement/complementary program to Dr. Web or Avira.

Keep up the good work!

25. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

May one of our developers contact you regarding the DDA (Direct Disk Access) issue? We have a new pre-release coming out in a day or so and should resolve all DDA issues - PM me here with an e-mail address if our lead developer may contact you to try the new release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.