SUPERAntiSpyware new version 3.6.1000

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Chubb, Mar 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

There will always arise some issue but Nick will do more than is ecpected to acommadate as many configs as hunamly possible.

This program is the very top of the pinnacles in AS effectiveness bar none other IMHO.

2. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

The program updater didn't work for upgrading to the new version for me.
    I downloaded and installed the new version after uninstalling the old and running a registry cleaner.
    Works well.

3. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

If you uncheck the Start With Windows option, it will remove it from startup - if you are running any security software that blocks an application (such as SUPERAntiSpyware) from accessing the start up registry keys, that may have been when you could not remove it from startup.

4. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I must add here, that I simply installed the new version of SAS over the old one, and had absolutely no trouble. This was with Cyberhawk and Comodo Pro Firewall running. The new version I think checked the PC for I imagine an existing one and I believe uninstalled it before installing itself. Would this be correct SuperAntiSpyware?

5. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

If you do run the installer for a new version and you already have a version installed, it will uninstall the previous and install the new one - the best option is to just right-click the SUPERAntiSpyware icon and select "Check for Updates...." and let the auto-updater do its work :)

6. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

I had that option unchecked on both my gaming rig and my laptop, re-booted several times, and it still started with Windows on both machines. Go figure.

7. fcukdat

fcukdat Registered Member

Are you refering to the winlogin entry,entry in task manager or the icon in the tray as meaning the software ran from bootup ?

8. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

The splash screen as well as the icon in the system tray both happen, even when the options for them are unchecked.
    I decided to reinstall it back on the laptop though.

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

mine dont load up on startup because i unticked the box.
    you can only disable the splashscreen in the pro (paid) version
    lodore

10. btman

btman Registered Member

Nick, I sent you a pm a while ago giving you a link to a site where users upload malicious files. Today I downloaded around 13 different ones, I had 2 of each one on the system and some of them decided to spread to different areas, and SUPER only had found two, and it was the same file just in a different spot. Are your guys checking out the site I had sent you? Or shall I PM the link to you again.

11. simmikie

simmikie Registered Member

still an issue with my copy, after upgrade. any ideas?

Mike

12. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

I haven't tried the latest version/release of SAS, but I used it before, and from what I have been told by a current user this same issue still remains. Therefore, I have a suggestion to make SUPERAntiSpyware a better product.

Somewhere on the main interface/GUI of the product.......list the:

1) current/latest definitions/ruleset

and

2) "last updated" date

Practically every other anti-spyware product that I've seen and used has this particular feature, and it is easily viewable from the main interface of their GUI, yet SAS doesn't (at least, when I used SAS it didn't). I also never received any notifications from SAS that any definition update ever took place (via balloon notification or other) during the two weeks that I tried it.

Again, just a suggestion (but I think a very good one).....

13. lu_chin

lu_chin Registered Member

Have you tried running the Windows shortcut "SUPERAntispyware Repair" inside the SUPERAntispyware program group?

14. btman

btman Registered Member

Crap, in my last post I also forgot to add SUPER is once again detecting Bearshare which is a FP... I've reported it ... Over 6 times but it hasn't been removed yet.

15. fcukdat

fcukdat Registered Member

btman

Can i have the link for the archive/upload site maybe i can go grab some *live* stuff on my machine by executing the files;)

FYI
    1) I have found SAS to be most confusing on file detections in the past for example it would detect a malicious file in system32 folder where the infection dropped the file originally yet it would not see the copy i made of it to a holding folder.I believe this is by intention and not some shortcoming(smart rule) since the infections involved always dropped its malicious payload in the same area.That said there are others that it will see no matter where it is dropped tooo_O

2)With reguards Bearshare software i would suggest reporting it in the F/p section of their forums but for the meantime what is it calling Bearshare out as ?

http://forums.superantispyware.com/viewforum.php?f=4

Have you uploaded the files in concern to a service such as Virustotal to check whether the detected files are not patched by malware ?
    http://www.virustotal.com/en/indexf.html

Hey Easter have you tried the msi values in Regedit to track old SAS install/uninstall package ?
    Again i would put a SOS out in their support forums for help:thumb:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2007
  16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

its not an fp bearshare contains some sort or adware/spyware and i dont want sas to stop detecting it
    lodore

17. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

Mike - you didn't identify what issue you are having. Please submit a support ticket here and we can assist you:
    http://www.superantispyware.com/support.html

18. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

We analyze all reports for false positives - just because a user reports something, it is not automatically removed from our definitions. If you choose to use bearshare, and don't want it detected, simply add it to the trusted list and SUPERAntiSpyware won't detect it again on future scans, that's what the trusted/allowed items are there for :)

19. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

On the main interface, we display the current product version as well as the definition core and trace versions. It has been this way for months, just FYI. In a future update we will have the last updated date, and an option "ballon" notification to let users know when an update has taken place. The auto-updating of the defintions also only occurs in the Professional version - when you check for updates in the free edition, it shows a dialog with the update definitions with a direct link to what actually was updated, or if there is no update, it will tell you so.

20. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

I recieved the link - we receive literally thousands of samples PER DAY from outside sources as well as thousands of samples PER DAY from our FileResearchCenter.com - they are culled by our internal tools and added to a queue - it's likey that some of the files have not yet been processed as we have millions of samples. :) They all get handled eventually. We work on live infections and zero-day threats as a priority as that is what "most users" are infected with and that the other products "miss".

As I recall, when I registered for that site, I never received an e-mail or access to the files either - I will follow up and see what I can do.

21. btman

btman Registered Member

I know, but it was removed once from the database when I reported it and now its back. Virustotal says bearshare.exe is clean too. I know I could allow it but I prefer FP's being fixed. On the site I linked you, I registered fine. *Shrug* I don't know. I guess just try again lol. Or maybe it got caught in your junk folder or something.

22. simmikie

simmikie Registered Member

actually i did, it concerns the update to 3.6 fixing the ability to context menu scan, but ticket submitted, and your concern is appreciated. thanks Nick!

Mike

23. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

Make sure the SUPERAntiSpyware icon is running in the system tray - if it's not, you can't do the right-click scanning.

24. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Nick,
    When is 3.6 version going to be available via the inbuilt updater?

25. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

It's been in the updater since the 3.6 release, you can just right-click the SUPERAntiSpyware icon and Check for Updates and the update will happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.