SuperAntispyware 99% CPU usage on loading

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ghodgson, Jul 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prairie dog

prairie dog Registered Member

2. bollity

bollity Registered Member

SAS is going the wrong way.

3. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

My experience is entirely different.

I hadn't updated SAS for several weeks, so i just did. For the first 20-30 Secs CPU fluctuated between 1-20% then rose to a peak of 57% for about 10 Secs then fell to 1%.

After the Defs update i got notice of a product update, did that and noticed no significant loading. Havn't rebooted yet.

This is on a fairly Ave Vista PC. 1.6 Celeron dual core with 1Gb RAM !

4. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Well I installed SAS to check on the malware I have sent Nick through the SUPERSampleSubmit tool. The system would take quite awhile to boot up and I was unable to scan the machine as it just blue screens after a few seconds.

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

prairie dog, thanks for the heads-up. This is the latest comment and by the tone of it, there is no urgency to find the issue:
    OK, I decided to take the challenge. I opened SAS, with Windows Defender Real Protection disabled & AVG Free 8.5 Resident Shield disabled, the only 2 security programs that are running real time in my PC. Same rig: Win XP SP2, Intel Celeron 2.93 GHz CPU, 2 GB RAM. Running Task Manager, here is SAS opening result:

SASopening3.gif

It took 1 second more to open SAS, yet Mem Usage is lower than before (7564K). Peak Mem Usage remains virtually the same. CPU fluctuations same as before 88 to 99%. I updated SAS with today's Definitions core 4005 - 3585KB (core 4004 was 3578KB) and Trace 1945 - 159KB (same as Trace 1944) and here is the result:

SASupdating3.gif

It took 1 minute, 20 seconds (2 seconds more than before), fans blasting away during the last 20 seconds, same as before, at a steady 99% CPU Usage. Both Mem Usage and Peak Mem Usage are slightly lower than before (91,596K & 164,604K respectively).

In my non-expert opinion, and with my rig's setup, it does not matter whether security programs are running or not, the CPU is impacted during opening and updating SAS, nonetheless.

I will state again that I believe SAS is a keeper, however, if Ade 1, with his super duper rig, is being affected, there's something going on in River City, with a capital T!

6. prairie dog

Could you post this on their forum via the link I provided? Thanks

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

prairie dog, Nick Skrepetos (SUPERAntiSpy) is a Wilders member and I'm sure, he's well aware of this thread and any comments made here. I'm not inclined to post there, because the comments, made so far in the SAS forum, give the impression that they believe the CPU issue is not the fault of SAS and things will continue the way they are.

I went as far as I did in my previous posts here, because I believe that you can't say something is amiss, without proof, and to the best of my ability, I tried to offer examples of what I'm experiencing. I'm not attacking the product, just showing its conduct and I'm still a fan of SAS, but only time will tell if the CPU issue becomes bigger than what it is at present.

8. prairie dog

Ok. I don't mean for this to be an "attack" on SAS. I think they have a wonderful product and just want them to be aware of issues that users are having. Thanks for running the test.

9. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Evidently we will have to live with it, but SAS is the only application that has that problem. MBAM does not. It might be well if SAS could do the updates in smaller increments to prevent tying up the system.
    Once it smooths out all works well.

It happens with KIS, Avast Home, and Avira.

Regards,
    Jerry

10. Dark_Hanzo

Dark_Hanzo Registered Member

That's exactly how SAS behaves on my pc (vista - dual core).

11. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

It is strange that not everybody seems to be affected by this issue with SAS. I too dont want to knock this very good software and I will be keeping it but just not using it as often. But if Ade 1 is having problems with SAS ie...

so my machine with a single pentium IV 2.4 ghz 2 GB ram has no chance.

Quote from Superantispy

I wonder when that will be.....

and

Not correct for a lot of users here. My findings are the same as JRviejo and that is disabling AV's etc when opening or updating SAS doesn't make any difference, everything just freezes for a couple of minutes.

It will be interesting to see if SAS do make any changes in future prog updates, to lessen it's impact on quite a lot of PC's.

Gordon

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Just updated SAS to version 4.27.1000, hoping that the 99% CPU Usage issue had gone away, however, it continues, although with some improvements.

Same rig as before, WD & AVG enabled, running Task Manager, here is SAS opening result:

SASopening4.gif

It took 32 seconds to open SAS (3 seconds more than before). Mem Usage is slightly less (7564K) than before, with the above test parameters, but Peak Mem Usage is higher than before (107,468K), same test parameters. CPU fluctuated between 88% to 99% same as before.

I updated SAS - Definition Database Core 4025 (3640KB) Trace 1965 (159KB) and this is the result after the updating was finished:

SASupdating4.gif

It took 1 minute and 25 seconds to update SAS (7 seconds more than before!), PC fans blasting away during the last 17 seconds (3 second improvement!), but still at a steady 99% CPU during the process. Perhaps the best improvement is Mem Usage which is a lot lower than before (90,460K). Peak Mem Usage is slightly lower than before (162,532KB).

My CPU is still impacted during SAS opening and updating with this newest version.

13. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

Jerry - We used to be much better? The poster in the thread above had the problem resolved.

"I ran SAS's network connection repair and that fixed the problem. Thank you SAS. I don't know what caused the problem"

We work hard to resolve any problems that a user has - when you have almost 20 million users like we have, there are always a few people with problems that are hard to track down - we try and track them down, but sometimes it is very difficult given the millions of possible software combinations and hardware combinations.

We are more than happy to assist you in tracking down any problem you are having.

14. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

We are going the wrong way? You mean leading the technology in removing rootkits and other items many products don't even see on the system is not good? Or did you mean the fact that we continue to stay ahead of the curve on many new infections? Or because we provide a completely free product and support many national charities with our Professional version to help out in this tough economy? Those things?

It's interesting how people jump on the "bash fest" without bothering to understand the actual problem or ask us directly - I am always available and happy to help.

15. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

For the record. Our new version that will feature all new technology has a load time of under 1 second. The definition updating also does not impact the system, nor slow anything down.

This version will be in pre-release in August and likley release in that time frame with Native Windows 7 and 64-bit support (not just one component being 64-bit, but actual full 64-bit support).

16. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

Nick you deserve an apology and perhaps some flowers.

Your product kicks ASS!

Toby

17. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

LOL, no apology or flowers necessary :) We are here to help our users. It's frustrating finding this stuff when it's spinning out of control for no reason.

18. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

Well, just to let you know, I just tested a nasty piece of malware that was detected by SAS. 1/41 detected on VT. I would say that's pretty damn impressive....and SAS stating that it picks up traces that others leave behind is absolutely no ~Snip~.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2009
  19. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Nick, now, THAT is great news and I'll be waiting, with bated breath, for the release of this new version. Thank you for addressing the issue.

20. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Ditto, looking forward to it, Nick! :D

21. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

Ok if I can just clarify where I'm at with SAS and my previous post.

I think SAS is a great product and I continue to use it as one of my on demand scanners (ie. isn't enabled to start at windows start up). In terms of it loading up it takes literally seconds on my rig including displaying the splash screen. Manually checking for and updating the defs again takes no time at all.

The issue I have is when I activated the pro version (yes I bought I license key) and enabled it to start at windows start up, check for program updates automatically when starting, checking and downloading defs automatically every 8 hours and had realtime protection enabled. With these settings, when I boot my pc for the first time each day, SAS loads up and is obviously checking for both program updates and downloading new defs. It's during this time that my pc would seem to freeze whilst SAS went through it's motions. For example, if I was to click My Computer it would take a while to display my drives in the window. Once SAS had gone through its motions all would be ok from then on.

This is the reason that I've disabled SAS from running from windows start up, disabled automatically check for def updates (program updates check is still enabled) and disabled realtime protection (I'm currently using KIS2010 for realtime with no issues). Running as an on demand scanner once a week works fine for me and am happy to keep it like that.

Also looking forward to the new version with native x64 support.

22. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Nick,

I appreciate your comments. However, even though you might be willing to help me track down my problem, I am not expert enough to do much with computers in the technical area.

But the real problem, in my mind, is that this issue is not unique to me or just a few. It is a problem with SAS as the slowdown and freeze of the computer happens on many machines (I have two, and both with the Pro) and with various AVs.
    Why is it that you cannot duplicate the slowdown on machines you have access to?

I do hope the new version will solve that problem. It is the reason I do not use SAS except on demand. I then load it while I go away to do something else.

I have a lot of confidence in SAS, but due to the freezing of my machines when I start it I seldom use it.

Regards,
    Jerry

23. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hey Nick,
    woot full 64bit support.
    btw will this new version resolve the product update issue on 64bit vista?
    the only way i can do a program update is to right click superantispyware.exe and click "run as administrator" even if i start superantispyware normally on an admin account it still says it needs admin rights. hopfully it shouldnt be to hard to give me a uac prompt when i press "install the update now" and that should also work on standard user accounts.

24. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

Yes, that should be resolved by the native components!

25. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

The time (CPU) you refer to above has been reduced to under 1 second :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.