SUPERAntiSpyware 6.0 Pre-Release - Final Has Been Released!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by hayc59, May 18, 2014.

1. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

2. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Yes..it is SSM, but the theme is Windows XP (Modified) with Red Desert Moon background. :)

3. controler

controler Guest

I installed this program a few days ago. Have installed it in the past. It says my I updated 12 days ago and when I click to update it fails. Is Spyshelter stopping the update?

4. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

The new interface is just bad, plus the detection still kind of sucks. I see no improvements that are worthy enough to draw me back in.

I'll have to pass

5. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Is it really necessary to have 14 security products on your system? Give me a break.

6. Malware fighter

Malware fighter Registered Member

Well, unfortunately SAS doesn't detect malware quite for a long time - I refer to MRGEffitas numerous tests and my own experience. But !!!! I use it as a perfect cookie cleaner, so it should be named SACC :D

7. Emetic

Emetic Registered Member

Trying out the new release.

Working well so far.

I scanned with Hitman Pro a bit earlier and it caught a paypal cookie. My sub has just run out and I'm going to renew it in a bit, so I couldn't delete that. I scanned with SAS (old version 5) and it missed it completely. Oh well.

Then I installed the new V6 of SAS and it picked up on it and it got deleted! So I guess that is an improvement of sorts. I had updated the database before each scan, but I imagine a paypal cookie is a pretty common thing.

The System Investigator is a really nice and useful tool and seems to be working well also. This in a nice little utility to have. Looking forward to the Browser Hijack Protection being put back in when the full version comes out (I can't see it in this one anyway so far).

At the moment, I wouldn't really suggest SAS to anyone new starting out, but having said that, I do have it installed on someone's machine who is computer phobic and very very security software phobic. They are an absolute nightmare, so I put a copy of SAS on there as it just runs perfectly well in the background and catches really really nasty stuff before it takes hold. They don't even know it is on there!

I checked the logs last time I was there and as usual no detections caught at all, except for when a certain someone comes around and browses dodgy sites. On one day SAS caught about 50 or 60 infections and another about 80 or 90. So it does work and it did a good job of cleaning silently in the background without any hassle - I just set it up to automatically clean.

MSE has not picked up ONE Virus or Malware in the same time period, well maybe one or two, but nothing much in over a year. There were no Pr()n sites involved at all, but they can be a bit click happy. I scan with MBAM and Hitman Pro and a few others when I go around and their system is indeed clean. I don't know what would have happened if SAS wasn't on there, coz MSE didn't pick anything up.

It's hard for me to evaluate as I am pretty security aware and I'm fairly tooled up, so, maybe people here can be a bit harsh with it, because they are even better at security than me. I have a lifetime license for it, so it's all a bonus really, this update I mean, but so far looking good. I only run it now and again on demand. Those nasties it caught before weren't in real time either, it was all done on a daily scheduled scan, so not sure what that says about its detection, but it did its job and cleaned the machine of a potentially very nasty infestation.

I'm going to give them one of my licenses for WSA to replace their now (pretty much useless) MSE, but I'll leave SAS on there, check the logs and do a proper scan when I visit. Its real time detection doesn't seem to work at all for so much nasty stuff to get through on one day, as I witnessed, but it cleaned the machine before anything was able to take hold, so it IS another layer of defense, I would argue. These idiots would be happy to run with NO security at all, and because they are family, I'm the idiot they call to clean it up. They are a nightmare. SAS saved me what could have been a few days work. That is how long it took me to clean their machine last time of the Metropolitan Police virus, because they do not back up, will NOT back up, and I had to rescue the machine to a working state to backup their files, before I nuked it and had to install win xp from scratch and restore their files. 48 hours of unpaid work!

So, I will defer to those with superior security ability than me, when they say SAS isn't very good. I won't argue. But, at least allow me to give an unsolicited testimonial of a real world scenario and real world usage, where SAS has saved my bacon. It certainly was better than nothing!

Edit:
    The malware it caught, was a lot nastier than cookies btw. They were full on Trojan Droppers and other nasties. I have the log files still, and I should be going around there in the next week or so to install the new WSA for them. I could dig them out and link to them if anyone is interested.

8. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

9. sas_dave

sas_dave Registered Member

Hey ya'll, new pre-release available for download (6.0.1070) on our site (http://forums.superantispyware.com/index.php?/topic/7758-superantispyware-60-pre-release-download/)

This is pretty close to a final release, there may be some very minor tweaks before a public release. Lots of speed improvements, scheduled scan e-mail alerts, overall UI fine tuning, lots of improvements to the System Investigator, right-click scanning works without needing to launch SAS first, there's a also high contrast black color selection if you prefer darkness.

@Emetic home page protection is located under Real-Time protection (even though it's available on the Free edition, it's part of the real-time system)...

10. DBone

DBone Registered Member

Installing now..........

11. sas_dave

@Emetic I wanted to make a suggestion; 6.0.1070 has a nifty new feature where you can configure an e-mail addy to be sent the scan logs from scheduled scans (including scheduled System Investigator scans with the option to see only recent changes). It's a real handy way to keep an eye on a family member's pc health remotely.

12. DBone

DBone Registered Member

I see you added my suggestion, and just wanted to say thanks! Now, SAS can do a scan on boot without me even knowing about it, very clean.

I noticed in Task Manager that one of the SAS processes has a random Image Name. Is that by design, or does it need to be fixed for the final? That is the only bug (if it isn't by design) that I have noticed............. Great job guys!

13. sas_dave

Ah, yea; I didn't quite remember who had asked for it, but I was able to put that in there pretty easily. None of the normal processes should have a random name unless you've used the "alternate start". That copies the SAS exe to a GUID and launches it (some malware targets us directly). Can you post a screenshot of what you're seeing?

14. DBone

DBone Registered Member

Now that I think about it, I believe I hit the alternate start link in my start menu. Let me reload the machine and check again, but that is probably the reason.

15. DBone

DBone Registered Member

Yep, that was it. Sorry for the false alarm! :oops:

16. sas_dave

You may need to exit by right-clicking the tray icon, launch SAS from the normal shortcut, then go into prefs and uncheck then recheck the option to start SAS with Windows. Occasionally, after using the alternate start, it can get into a state where it tries to launch the renamed exe at Windows start. You've reminded me that I wanted to put in some checks to prevent that.

17. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Downloaded and installed with no problem. No problems with previous beta. Will report back if anything on new beta release. Keep up good work.

18. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Installed the new version. Liked it.

Will you in future implement incremental updates?

19. SUPERAntiSpyware1

SUPERAntiSpyware1 Registered Member

Incremental updates are on our near-term radar.

Thanks
    Don

20. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Oh! Thanks, that's great to know.

Btw. I just checked the Resource usage of SAS Core service and saw that it's I/O usage is too high. I am using the free version with no real-time protection. A bug?
    SAS IO usage.png

Update: This must be due to High Active Scan boost setup. Right?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  21. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Just checked mine. Pro latest beta with right-click Explorer integration but no real-time protection. Using 1.4 MB.

Attached Files:

• SAS.jpg
      SAS.jpg
      File size:
      17 KB
      Views:
  22. muf

muf Registered Member

Installed the new version. No problems. Working well. Like the new look. I'll report here any problems if I encounter any. Been using my lifetime licence for SAS since 2006. Was using SAB as well until the product was curtailed. Installed on Windows XP SP3.

Keep up the good work.

Paul

23. DBone

DBone Registered Member

I don't see anything near your disc I/0 on my W7 x64 setup.

24. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Hi, this was probably because I was letting it run a scan using High Active scan boost.

25. Emetic

Emetic Registered Member

That's absolutely brilliant. Thank you very much!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.