SUPERAntiSpyware 6.0 Pre-Release - Final Has Been Released!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by hayc59, May 18, 2014.

1. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

Yep, it's always been good at that :rolleyes:

2. gery

gery Registered Member

Naaah almost never does it catch anything besides cookies . Will replace it with MBAM

3. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

4. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

No, the detection rates are still not good, other than for tracking cookies.

5. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

6. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

7. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

8. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Has SAS ever been tested by a competent & objective testing organization? If so, got a link? If not, I wonder why?

SAS is really well-programmed, rock stable, devoutly maintained up-to-date, & very light on CPU. Although SAS is not well-regarded here at Wilders, it appears to be commercially succesful -- they must have a flock of loyal users that don't hang out here.

SAS has been around for quite a bit longer than many other security apps. I wonder WHY that is so, if SAS is truly as worthless as seems to be the opinion here?

9. roger_m

Any testing would show just how badly it does at detecting malware. For example, in a 2014 review of SAS by PCMag, where they gave it only a one and a half star rating, they listed as con: "Worst-yet scores in hands-on malware blocking test."
    Yes it is very stable, and won't cause any issues with other software. However, the issue is that based on usage on infected computers, it really does extremely badly at detecting malware. It does so badly, that these days, when cleaning an infected computer, I never install SAS, as it's unlikely to detect anything. I remember when SAS was first released, that it was among the top programs of its kind, but sadly, for a long time that has no longer been the case. On the plus side, I can't remember it ever having issues with false positives, which means that while it won't detect much, it shouldn't wrongly flag something safe. As such, there's certainly no harm in using it a second opinion scanner. Also, I find the System Investigator to be very useful for exploring what is running on your system.

As for being commercially successful, I guess they manage to sell enough copies of SAS to make it worthwhile continuing development, but I doubt it could be called successful.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  10. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

11. roger_m

12. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I don't think SAS has had many major borkers though. I've only known one false positive in nine years of using it as on on-demand. I don't trust any anti-malware program in real time (apart from a dedicated AV of course). It is the only anti-malware program that has ever found anything malign on a computer I ran though. The AV (Norton) and Spybot S&D both failed to detect a trojan that the Google Translate filters warned me had downloaded. Plus, SAS does remove tracking cookies and it's light on the system lol. So I run SAS as a second opinion scanner.

13. bellgamin

That test is >12 years old. Things may have changed. Other than opinions, have there been any tests more recent than 2004?

14. roger_m

It's actually a review from 2014, I typed in the wrong year. As well as that review, based on my experience using it on my own computers, infected customers computers and the opinion of many here at Wilders and also at malwaretips, it is good at detecting tracking cookies and terrible at detecting malware.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with using it as a second opinion scanner, just don't expect to ever find much.

15. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Why not contact them and ask them why they don't participate in any reputable tests?

16. bellgamin

Great idea! Thanks for volunteering to do that. :isay:

17. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Ah, no. Hey, it's you who wants to know, not me. I'm with @roger_m and the vast majority who don't expect SAS to shine in any test results.

18. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I always found it a good enough searcher for digging up things that others skipped like leftover bits and pieces of malware that dropped stuff but never got to run because of the shielding in place.

For that it's nice to sweep out junk left under the rug.

19. boombastik

boombastik Registered Member

Back in 2011 when someone installed sas it created two drivers that was running 24hours a day.
    Now we are in 2017. The same 2011 drivers continue to run if u install it after 6 years.
    They cant make the program to unload them when u close it.
    This is limited software engineering.
    a foto from drivers: -http://tinypic.com/r/33o14ip/9

20. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I still remember when MRG Effitas was running real time protection tests (maybe they still do), I think from memory it was back in 2012-13-14, and SAS had always the lowest score. I don't know whether it is better nowadays, but frankly as far as I'm concerned anti-spyware applications are really no longer needed as antivirus programs do detect spyware and there are other ways to deal with the problem.

This is an example:
    https://www.mrg-effitas.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/MRG-Effitas-Real-Time-Protection-Test-Q1-20131.pdf
    And this is the MRG Effitas Archive if someone wants to do some research:
    https://www.mrg-effitas.com/recent-projects/archive/

21. bellgamin

To avoid problems in this respect, I use an Uninstaller program to monitor EVERY app that I install. If I later decide to dump an app, I use that app's own uninstaller, then I reboot & run the Uninstaller program. This method always does the job.

22. askmark

askmark Registered Member

Hi. I'm interested to know which uninstaller program you use?

23. bellgamin

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  24. askmark

askmark Registered Member

25. bellgamin

Nay, not thee but me. At Post 396, I went OT by commenting re uninstallers. Mea culpa :oops:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.