SUPERAntiSpyware 5.x

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by Mops21, Oct 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

Re: SUPERAntiSpyware 5.0

because you then cant call it portable? maybe because if you do call it portable then your straight up lying?

i am quite upset by the changes as i used to love combing the portable version of SAS with a boot disk which is no longer possible with the new scheme, used to clear any infected system with this combo, unfortunately i will just have to use the above technique with McAfee Stinger which has proved just as effective so far. for those who want an alternative for the now pulled portable version of SAS then McAfee Stinger is the way to go (direct exe link available from my sig)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  2. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

I have a lifetime subscription for the Pro version and yesterday SAS gave me a message that my subscription expired :rolleyes:

I submitted a support ticket 13 hours ago but still no reply :rolleyes:

Ticket # CSR00086830

3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I would say that the vendor is a little inconsistent with product description and pricing, but I think "lying" is too strong. I understand that it's a drag to lose a free product, but apparently they need to make more money. Did you read this thread?

http://forums.superantispyware.com/index.php?/topic/6822-sas-portable-not-portable/

I find the attitude of entitlement expressed by some disturbing. They don't appear to be appreciating the fact that they've been using a free product. Instead of expressing a little gratitude and wanting to support the vendor they are acting like he's cheating them. This is pretty weird.

4. treehouse786

yes i posted that link on this forum last week..

i find your attitude disturbing, no one here (at least me anyway) is having a go at SAS for making the portable version a paid only feature (even tho SAS do lifetime licences..). if you visit the antimalware toolkit in my sig you will see i labelled SAS as favourite program (still) ;) .

what i am having a go at SAS for is misleading advertising. they say the free portable version of SAS is portable when it clearly is not. a portable program is a program which requires no installation, fact. SAS portable free version requires installation, fact. this is what i have beef with, nothing else, so i would appreciate it if you got your facts straight before sounding off about other peoples attitude/gross entitlement

edit- visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_application then tell me that SAS free portable version is actually portable

5. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I wasn't "having a go" at you at all, and I'm sorry that wasn't clear. With regard to "entitlement" I was referring to some of the posts in the linked SAS forum thread and not to anything you said. I agree that there's a problem with calling the new version, which actually requires an installation, "portable". Clearly it isn't portable in the normally understood way. I don't know why the vendor isn't more clear, and it's understandable why users are confused and annoyed about it. That's all separate from the "attitude of entitlement" that I feel is present in that thread. I hope the vendor will straighten this out. At the end of the day SAS is a useful product in spite of the confusing marketing, and it's still available in a free version so I'm not inclined to complain (but that's just me).

6. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I was always grateful to the freeware version of SAS & I used it for years. I had even been contemplating a lifetime licence at one time. I think what has annoyed some is that the very useful 'true' portable version, which was once free, is now a paid-for item. I'm not so sure that this is a case of misplaced 'attitude of entitlement', as much as one of a feeling of something of a loss to the general cyber-public at large, so to speak.

7. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

I looked in our system and you submitted the ticket at 2:06:19AM PDT on April 4th, and it was answered at 8:27:50 AM PDT. So it was answered in about 6 hours when you submitted it in the middle of our night, so there was no 13 hours with no reply.

Your subscription didn't expire - you had it installed on too many systems and we reset those systems so you could re-install.

8. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

Oh, I didn't get a notification of your reply that's why

Thanks anyway

9. treehouse786

@Victek123 thank you for clearing that up, it was just a misunderstanding on both our parts and i apologize too :thumb:

hope SAS sort the 'portable' situation soon. i notice the SAS official has failed to comment on this matter. i am a big fan of SAS and i hope to remain so.

i have also noticed that the paid portable version downloads in the .com format when downloaded from their website and in the .exe format when the exact same link is clicked via a different website. is that intentional? or is it a bug in the php system?

10. JRosenfeld

JRosenfeld Registered Member

I think there may be a misunderstanding in connection with the portable edition.

As a test, I went to
    http://www.superantispyware.com/portablescanner.html?tag=SAS_PORTABLEFOLDER
    and clicked on the link 'click here to download your product' in the lower box (ostensibly for those that are already license holders, though I do not have a license) That downloaded the .com file, which I saved to a second hard drive (could have been a USB stick). I opened a command window and ran the .com file from that. It put some files in my user/temp folder, within 2 seconds it showed a GUI with the scan options, I chose quick scan and scanned my PC. It did not ask for a key, did not interfere with the already installed free version of SAS. After closing the GUI and the command window, I just deleted the files in the temp folder. I would not call that an install.

If I had a second PC, I would have put the .com file on a usb stick and could have scanned that second PC. In that sense the scanner is portable. It appears to be fully functional also without a license. Of course one needs to get a new version (with updated definitions) every so often.

I agree that the download in the 'personal edition' box is just the free SAS .exe and that does try to install fully (when I started that it detected and wanted to uninstall the existing free SAS on my PC (I cancelled, of course)). I wonder if that is a mistake?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  11. treehouse786

@JRosenfeld

if only it was simple as that, i have known about that for quite a while but it seems that you need a license to download the .com file.

their forums are down at the moment but i did read in there a message from a mod saying that the .com file was only meant to be downloaded by people with a license and that if too many users abuse that, they will remove that download link.

i shall find that quote for you when the forums are back up again

12. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

what?....really?....then that's just arrogance of SUPERAntiSpyware....and I think their already thin popularity will suffer tremendously if they continue like this.....

13. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I'm sorry but this is really off. The vendor created the software - it's called a "business". If they need to stop offering software for free it's their right to do so. I'm grateful for free software. If it stops being free I may be disappointed, but I don't call the company names.

14. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

You are mis-stating facts. The full SUPERAntiSpyware Portable Technicians Edition requires a license fee. Home users can use the 100% free Home/Personal Edition that is pre-bundled with definitions, served under a random name and does not require and Internet connection to run/operate - so you can run it from USB, Safe Mode, etc. and it will run when malware blocks security software by name/fingerprint.

15. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

And we didn't stop offering our software for free! We have a 100% Free Edition that scans, removes, etc. and can be downloaded anytime/anywhere!

16. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

I doubt that very much!! ams963 you should be very grateful SAS offers up a free version to folks

17. treehouse786

isn't that what i just said? o_O

18. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

yeah right :rolleyes:

19. JRosenfeld

JRosenfeld Registered Member

As I said, I don't have a license, have always just used the free SAS. But the .com file downloaded without any problem or request about license of any kind, and in my test appears to be fully operational.

20. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Many users ARE more then grateful that SAS has always offered a "free" version complete with updates.

I think Nick completely understands the core suggestion here however. But aside from criticism over why they don't offer a purely free Portable "end-users version, it might be in everyones interest instead to just continue to offer their views/pursuasions on WHY it would make it a very popular move for SAS to at some point to seriously consider making a Portable "free" version available.

SAS always has had a good record IMO to satisfy the needs & meet the expectations of it's license customers as well as it's free users.

21. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

22. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

23. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

24. jjc225

jjc225 Registered Member

What is Superantispyware Alternate Start? I sometimes have trouble starting SAS from the regular icon on the desktop or the notification area. So how does this work? Not clear.

25. Adric

Adric Registered Member

Does anyone know how to silently deploy SAS (with license)?

Al

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.