Super hidden files

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Franklin, Nov 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

XP pro sp2.
    In C drive XP has a hidden folder named Recycler.The mouse pointer on the folder pops up 8.6 meg within.On openning there are two recycle bins with long numerical names.Openning either of these bins show no files.

Looking at these recycle bins with Icesword exposes these super hidden files.Does anyone know what they are and can they be safely deleted as Icesword gives the option to delete.

Most of them have the same creation date from nearly a year ago.Just wondering,could they be leftovers from when I used to have Nortons system works and they are leftovers from Nortons protected recycle bin.

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hi Franklin,

It's there because you must be on an NTFS partition. Those number's you see represent Security IDentifier's windows creates for each person/identity who log's on (separated bin's). Can they be deleted? Yes .... from the command prompt, otherwise windows will generate an error.

No sense removing individual entries though as the folder re-create's itself fresh after your very next deletion. If IceSword has the option (at next boot possibly) ... go right ahead. If window's throw's an error saying the file's in use, close explorer then open a command prompt:

rd /s /q c:\recycler > enter

rd removes the folder - /s it's sub-directories (all SID's) - /q over-ride's confirm delete.

I'll wait for your reply if there's any problem with Norton.

GF

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2005
  3. Franklin

Thanks for your reply GlobalForce.

Yep Icesword deleted the files within the recycle bins but I left the two system files,info2 and desktop.ini.All I can think of is that the other 8 meg of hidden files were left overs from Nortons protection.

Funny thing is that I thought I had formatted and reinstalled because of problems with Nortons and now only use Ghost 2003.Oh well,my memory mightn't be working that well but at least the PC's is.LOL

4. Your welcome Franklin.

Do I understand correctly 8mb's remain? I'm not sure if your present setup was upgraded from a 9x system but you can find additional information about the INFO2 file on the Q & R page at Kellys Korner (starting below Recovery Console listing's). You could also safely delete the entire folder using the previous command, just make sure no other program's are holding explorer open.

If any Norton ghost's are still claiming disc space, lose the asterisk and follow the link's on this page ....
    ht*tp://www.dslreports.com/faq/9623

GF

5. Oh and don't worry about your desktop.ini ....
    you'll see it in every folder if your system's set to *show hidden and system* files. ;)

GF

6. Franklin

There were 8meg of hidden files within one of the recycle bins which could only be seen and deleted with Icesword.All fixed now.

I was just a bit concerned that they had been there so long and cleaning programs couldn't access them.

Probably still wouldn't know they were there if I wasn't having a look around my system with Icesword.

7. controler

controler Guest

If you look at your programs folder with Explorer, you might find a folder named
    Movie Maker.

I think you need to remove this folder from the command prompt as well.

controler

8. Franklin

9. Franklin

Or maybe this command might work eh.
    del /%C: all/unseen/ by /explorer /:showyourselvesfirst /#astards

LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.