Super Cleaner and other track eraser programs

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Robyn, Apr 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Is Supercleaner still working nicely as I am testing out Tracks Eraser Pro came to this part of the forum to discover MRU's index.dat cleaning - I know how to do this but noted the point about the history not being cleaned by MRU Blaster. I can set MRUBlaster up for the index.dat cleaning but have only just discovered my history dat file would not be cleaned and I would need to use something else for this.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2005
  2. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Re: deleting index.dat

If index.dats are what you're concerned with (only), then you need to use Index.dat Suite (as long as you're running a current OS): http://support.it-mate.co.uk/?mode=Home - just don't use any of the other cleaning options available in the program if you're worried about losing extraneous cookies or temp files. And, yes, it requires a re-boot to clear them.

The site's down at the moment, but I'm sure it'll be back up later. This program is as solid as a rock and works totally to delete all index.dat files that can be found on ALL profiles on your computer. It also allows you to read what's in them and to print out a list of what's found in each one. Pete

*Their site's back up now - emails can work wonders sometimes! :D

Last edited: Apr 16, 2005
  3. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Re: deleting index.dat

Thanks - still making up my mind on TE pro but will look again at the index.dat cleaner to work in combination with other software. I will make my mind up one day on my cleaners :rolleyes:

Edit: just noticed a little bug with SP2 and the cleaning with the suite.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2005
  4. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Apologies for the OT from MRUBlaster - I was hoping MRUBlaster would do the cleanups I needed as I already have this installed. I know I have been searching for another but then I thought about MRU but discovered the wee thing about history. I only realised the topic was going outside of that forum after I had shut down last night :oops:

Thanks for the screenshot the only thing which would put me off trying this one is the nag/shareware :( I will go and have a look at it and do love to see an actual screen shot - thanks.

I still have TE Pro installed and have a few others to consider after this trial as I don't want to end up with a box full of tools when I am trying to keep my computer neat and tidy :rolleyes:

5. Re: deleting index.dat

Hi ;)
    I was wondering if the cookies and temp files from Opera or FFox are also taken care of, or is it only for IExplorer?
    Also, is it a secure deletion (as in, say, Eraser) or simply a Windows-type of 'pseudo-deletion' ?
    Cheers

6. Re: deleting index.dat

Hello :)
    What's a "nagware"?!
    Cheers...

7. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

8. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Supercleaner can clean the caches for all the major browsers.(Opera,Mozilla,Firefox,IE).

For index.dat files,follow spy1's advice and use Index.dat Suite.
    I like that program better for that type of cleaning.It does a through job.I haven't had any ill-effects from using it so far.

For cleaning junk files I'd use Ace Utilities(shareware) or something other than Supercleaner.
    I think it's too aggressive.

Just my two cents worth.

9. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Registered Member

hi

you couls also try CCleaner that will also clean up your cashe and index.dat and a lot of other stuff beside its free and dosnt contain any nags

http://www.ccleaner.com/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.