Sunbelt

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by disinter1, Dec 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cimmerian

Cimmerian Registered Member

Premium installed...first update took about 45 seconds, full scan 53:56. Pleasantly surprised here, was expecting longer for each..:D

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Can anybody comment on the firewall in vipre Premium?

3. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Morning ! And Happy New Year 2011...first post of the new year. I feel that the boot up time and responsiveness of the Vipre Premium Firewall has improved...and I've enabled Hips and so far so good. Mind you I've only had it operational the past couple of days. I'm using it in tandem with Prevx 3.0 with Safe-On Line...and no problems as of the moment. Sincerely...Securon

4. Spruce

Spruce Registered Member

About the HIPS, any point of having it enabled and set on "allow"? :p

5. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

If set on "Allow" it won't even notify you when an app is trying to inject code. When I enable it, I set it on "Block with notify" so that it prompts me for action whenever a code injection attempt occurs and gives me the chance to create a rule for that particular event. So instead of "Allow", I'd at least switch it to "Allow with notify" so that you can actually see when this happens.

6. atomomega

I find it very effective, tho it lacks most of the bells and whistles found in other "suites" like sandboxing, restricted execution and so on, it has a powerful web filter against malicious websites (it also blocks ads) an IDS (Intrusion Detection System) and a rather-simple HIPS module. I always set the firewall on interactive (learning) mode so it allows me to create specific rules (trusted outbound/trusted inbound/untrusted outbound/untrusted inbound) for each program that requests internet access. There are even more granular settings to filter ports, network traffic and gateways for bridged connections.

7. Spruce

Spruce Registered Member

Ok, thanks. Was a bit curious why the setting was there, but I guess that you can still make use of the allow only function if you want to check logs :)

8. atomomega

Correct, the only downside is that the (malicious) code injection could screw the system before you can get a hold of the logs...:doubt:

9. ALookingInView

ALookingInView Registered Member

Still would enjoy seeing Sunbelt/GFI sneak in a Super Bowl win. Another or three, cool, all for it.
    They won't fail for lack of trying, that's for sure.
    Best software support I've ever experienced.
    Not sure I know anyone who's able to make an accurate assessment of the products' effectiveness. No way of knowing if that's a good or bad thing.

True. Some games offer better odds though.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  10. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Morning ! As the majority of Wilders members know...Vipre is an excellent product...but because of the Clout A/V Comparatives carries...all must be revealed when and if GFI/Sunbelt submit the app for testing...then the stigma of not knowing will be resolved. My own personal point of view having used Vipre and Vipre Premium over the past year...I would give it a rating that would lie somewhere between Advanced and Advanced Plus...in relation too A/V Comparatives Ratings System. Sincerely...Securon

11. Spruce

Spruce Registered Member

Would be nice to see some tests from other sources than YouTube aswell, It's a pretty nice product.

12. darthsideous666

darthsideous666 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.