Sunbelt Personal Firewall 4.6.1839 Release

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by QBgreen, Jul 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

2. dmenace

dmenace Registered Member

Thanks

Whats New?

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I looked around the Sunbelt site and couldn't find the change log. A link would be helpful.

I did find info here.

4. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

FileHippo had this change log-

* Significant improvement in packet filtering
    * Significant improvement in network performance when web filtering is enabled.
    * Enhanced Process Injection prevention to prevent code inject attempts into Windows system DLLs.
    * Corrected numerous application crashes in the firewall service.
    * Corrected various crashes in assist.exe
    * Enabled support for Windows Vista
    * Corrected issue in which binary data appeared in logs.
    * Significant improvement in product stability.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_sunbelt_personal_firewall/changelog/

5. noway

noway Registered Member

Tried it briefly. It gave an error message when I tried to use the GUI to import my Kerio 2.1.5 rules. Also tried using the cfgconv.exe conversion tool in the Program Files\Sunbelt Software\Personal Firewall folder. No success with that either. Bye Sunbelt, Hello Drive Image restore. Total time wasted=15 minutes.

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

That's not bad... just think of the time wasted before imaging programs... Btw, it's probably wise to stick with Kerio 2 because even if you did manage to import your rules into 4.x, there's a good chance some of them won't log right. There are some quirks in Kerio 4 logging due to the way they implemented logging more as an afterthought than design from the beginning. I remember pulling my hair out a few times trying to figure out the problem, in the end, it was Kerio 4, and not the rules.

7. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

How about the speed and lag of the GUI when theres alot of internet activity, and connections? I stopped using it a long time ago, because it would freeze up and i could not configure my firewall when i had downloads going and things.

8. 3xist

3xist Guest

Anyone having good experiences with this release?

9. elarifr

elarifr Registered Member

Hello
    Just newly registered in wilderssecurity.
    I have tested spf beta since some days now with beta 1720...
    Spf 4.6.1839 is now relatively a very stable firewall in xp / vista
    Memory issue that where existing in 4.5.916 has gone
    Also gone the bug that ask many time to allow a connection before a newly created rule is really applied
    Only for now i have some loopback local connection with some very special software (something like btrieve server in Ciel Gestion Commerciale) that make me a bit crazy :( but the beta / dev team is very reactive to check problems. It has no problem with transparent proxy used by spampal, avg, avast, nod antivirus. cobian ftp backup is ok. no problem with windowslivelogin proxy...
    In free mode, spf will not include web filtering and hips prevention. not a big problem when using firefox and addon
    Concerning Kerio 2.1.5 it seems so old that not importing them is not a real problem to recreate a new set of rules. if i remember spf 4.3 / 4.5 was not importing correclty 2.1.5 rules and sunbelt has removed all support for the old 2.1.5
    elarifr
    http://accedinfo.com/blogs/accedinfo/2008/jun/03/sunbelt-firewall-beta5-version-4618200-dispo

10. noway

noway Registered Member

Leaving the import option in the GUI when it's broken doesn't help consumer confidence in the program. It makes one wonder what else did they leave in there that's broken?

11. elarifr

elarifr Registered Member

you're right. it should have been done :)
    even if beta is officially closed there is now a build 1841... so the dev team is still hard working on spf.
    It seems what i was thinking to be a bug in spf is in fact a problem with a spampal lsp...
    take again 15min + 3min to create some rules and you'll see spf 4.6 really rocks :)
    and i'm not from sunbelt team !

12. noway

noway Registered Member

I'll give it another go after I get back from holidays.

13. Victek

Victek Registered Member

The web site indicates that there is both a free and full version, but I don't see separate download links. Is there one installer for both and do you choose during the install? How does this work?

14. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I read a FAQ on the sunbelt site and answered my question - the firewall reverts to the free version when the trial period is over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.