SUMo : Keep your software up to date

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Kyle_Katarn, Dec 20, 2011.

1. guest

guest Guest

For exampe: If an error occurs, it launches the browser automatically (and opens the website)?
    Some thoughts:
    Would be better to have an option for this (on the client side), so the user can enable/disable it.
    Maybe in addition a dialog can be displayed: "SUMo wants to navigate to: [http....]" and the user can click on OK or Cancel. Now opening the website is not happening without user's consent.

2. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

Thanks, mood.
    Good thoughts!

3. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

This can be considered. Let's wait for some feedback on the use of this implementation first :)

4. Stupendous Man

As I am not sure that I can oversee all consequences of the "Dynamic URL opening on events" feature, and as I have considerations similar as expressed by mood, I will wait updating SUMo until the consequences of the new feature are more clear, or until there is an option for the user to disable "Dynamic URL opening on events" on the client side.

5. guest

guest Guest

After installing of the new version and launching it, it has automatically opened a website in my browser where i can buy a lifetime license ... :cautious:
    Code:
    https://secure.shareit.com/shareit/cart.html?PRODUCT[300670186]=1

6. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

this should only happen on user's "massively" using free version. I'll fine tune in order to :
    - be incentive to move to PRO (to be honest, conversion rate is decreasing these days... and now that we got rid of all ads, we have no other income stream)
    - not to be too annoying

Any feedback on this ?

7. Stupendous Man

Thanks very much for testing and reporting, mood.
    Yeah, this is definitely an example of a feature that I do not like at all.
    I don't even like the fact that installation of SUMo opens a KC Softwares webpage, I do offline installation because of that. But opening a shareit.com webpage when launching SUMo, that is even worse. Much worse.
    @Kyle_Katarn, I don't like this a bit.

Kyle, what does that mean, what do you mean?

8. guest

guest Guest

"massively" :doubt:
    Sometimes i am launching SUMo one or two times per day (but not each day)

9. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

It is OK. Downloaded the new version via internal updater a couple of minutes ago. Thanks, Kyle.

10. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

Whatever "massively" means here, I'm a SUMo junkie who scans his computer for updates several times a day.:) No problems here because I use the Pro version. I don't really need it but buying the Pro version helps Kyle to generate some income, and I have found a good way to say THANK YOU for a great app.:thumb:

11. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

Currently, page opening is "systematic" upon trigger is reached (number of time "free" version has been launched). I'll make it more progressive.

The idea is that someone using SUMo 10x a day for 2 years (we have many of such !) should definitively support us by purchasing SUMo PRO :)

12. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

Thanks !
    Of course : NO page to be opened on SUMo PRO users

13. Stupendous Man

I understand, but one does not expect the so called "lite" version to open a shareit.com webpage, as earlier the "lite" version was the version that was not ad supported in any way.
    If you like to offer suggestions by opening shareit.com webpages or such, you might consider different versions again, a regular version that may open a shareit.com webpage, and a true "lite" version that doesn't.

14. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

This raises an interesting question.
    Staying on the current model, would you see a better option :
    - To "incentive" more users to move the the free version
    - Keeping the "free for anyone" concept.

My point that opening the buy page on closure was a limited "pain point" to users... is your view different ? If it opens only once a day, would it be more acceptable ? (or just similar)

15. Stupendous Man

I'm not sure what you mean by "opening the buy page on closure".
    I don't think I have seen that with any previous "lite" versions.
    Or do you mean the little sub-window in SUMo that opens when SUMo is closed, and that offers a "buy PRO" option?
    I never found that a 'paint pain point', as it doesn't open any webpages, and as opening that little sub-window in SUMo could be disabled after the first time that SUMo was launched.
    What I do consider a paint pain point, is if SUMo opens any webpages (and even more if those are not KC Softwares pages but external ones like the shareit.com webpage). I find that unacceptable to me.

A little (or larger) sub-window in SUMo that opens when SUMo is closed, that offers a "buy PRO" option, that would be quite acceptable, even if it could no longer be disabled.
    But opening any webpages in the browser, that is not acceptable to me at all.

Edit:
    Fixed typo 'paint point' -> pain point

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  16. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

OK, i take this point. Let's wait for more feedback to be collected and i'll see what to change in next release.

17. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

Following feedback from users, this feature has been disabled permanently on server side and client implement will be removed in next update. You can now update to 5.2.4 without being impacted by this feature.

I'll have to find something better to get more people supporting SUMo dev :-(

18. guest

guest Guest

Maybe a nag screen can be displayed for users which are launching SUMo more than 5 times a day :cautious:
    1-5 times a day = no nag screen, but the 6th time (and more) a nag screen has to be clicked away: "Support SUMo and buy a PRO version to get rid of the nag screen (and to have more features)".
    In addition the user must wait some seconds until the nag can be clicked away :doubt:

19. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

ok !

20. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

+1 :thumb:

21. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

Let's go that way !

22. Stupendous Man

I think you mean SUMo 5.4.3?

mood's suggestions sound really acceptable to me.
    Although, SUMo's users seem quite picky. If even the little 'goodbye' window that opens (or opened) when SUMo is closed and that offers a "buy PRO" option is (or was) a pain point to users, even while that could be disabled after the first time that SUMo was launched, then I'm a bit worried that nag screens may also be a nuisance to those users. I sincerely hope it will be accepted well enough.
    I think that any nag screen in the SUMo interface is to be preferred over opening a webpage in the user's browser, as I think many users really do not like applications to open webpages in the browser.
    I think the decision to disable the mentioned feature and look for something else, like for instance a nag screen as described by mood, is a very wise decision.

23. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

If they want to be picky, they should just get the Pro version. If they continue using the Free version, they just have to put up with nag screens and similar stuff. I just cannot demand this and that new feature without supporting the developer. If I were Kyle, I would abandon the Free concept and introduce a (lifetime) licence instead. You just cannot expect dedicated developers to work for you for free. It's just not fair. Just my 2 cents.

24. Stupendous Man

A somewhat late reply to this one:
    I don't know about other users. But I don't use SUMo PRO as I really don't want SUMo automatically updating.
    Usually I launch and check SUMo a few times a day (2-4 times?), not only to check for updates, but also to check for beta versions reported as current, so that I can flag those as beta, as a SUMo 'power user' job. If there are beta versions reported as current and I flag those as beta, and also when software is out of beta and I need to 'un-beta' those software versions, I launch and check SUMo more times that day, to be sure that my adjustments of SUMo's beta flagging is picked up correctly. Those days launching and checking SUMo could be 10 times a day or more.
    I could imagine that some SUMo 'power users' that very actively check and adjust SUMo beta flagging and who use a lot of software that gets a lot of beta updates could have many days on which they launch and run SUMo many times a day.
    But if there are many more users checking SUMo 10 times a day than there are SUMo 'power users' checking and adjusting beta flagging, then the remaining user share may be .. well, a little bit obsessive over software updates, perhaps. ;)

25. XIII

XIII Registered Member

There’s already a lifetime license (currently twice as expensive as a 1 year license):

http://www.kcsoftwares.com/?buy

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.