Summary of Issues with WSA Sync

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by STV0726, Nov 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. STV0726

STV0726 Registered Member

Ah, well seeing as I don't do any editing of a single file while it is open on both computers, there's no excuse for this glitchery.

2. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

No, that was never our assumption. Can you send me a log as requested?

3. STV0726

Requesting status update on these issues...

4. PrevxHelp

The updated infrastructure has been deployed to Europe and Japan but we've found a different cause of the issue, specifically related to re-synchronizing files when reinitializing after having had Sync disabled. This looks to be causing more of the problems and is why we haven't seen it from most customers (as they just install and leave it active). We're in the process of resolving this as well as finishing the QA on an updated client library which will further prevent data versioning issues.

5. STV0726

Thank you for the update. I just had sync shut off on my computer. This is a new flavor of a problem I've been experiencing lately and it gives me an error message when trying to turn it back on saying that max number of upload attempts has been reached. It didn't look like it tried to upload anything as sync mysteriously was off upon boot.

I thought I had things fixed once and for all when I deleted both computers on the web console and re-authorized them. Guess not...

These issues are driving me nuts and I hope you can provide an ETA.

6. PrevxHelp

I haven't seen that before, but it sounds like there is some timeout or blocking of the connection. Could you send me an updated log via email?

Thanks!

7. STV0726

Now approaching Q1 of 2014, and WSA Sync still is unreliable despite several promised "back-end" fixes coming. Also, I have been monitoring new version changelogs and I never see this addressed. I know I have a history for being somewhat of a PITA customer, but who wouldn't agree that this is rediculous?

My two computers still don't sync on boot sometimes, and there can be a long, unacceptable and unexplainable delay.

Also, I just got FILE REVERSION AGAIN, which is a SEVERE issue. Open the case up again ASAP, presuming it has been put on hold since no one is talking about it, much to my disappointment.

The file that was reverted was somewhat important, and I was able to dig it out of the history on the web console, but that is highly inconvenient. Also, I just crafted a bunch of complex, highly-important files related to finalizing and completing my student teaching and if those got erased...that would NOT be a good thing.

I will not use another solution. Webroot will focus hard and fix these issues. There is nothing unusual or interfering about my setup for this to work properly.

Also, had I not obtained several licenses very cheap with that online deal that ran on another site some time ago, I would be requesting credits at this point. :thumbd:

8. Muddy3

Muddy3 Registered Member

That is worrying...very worrying. Joe had told me that, excepting the situation in which a customer turns Backup&Sync off and then on again, everything should now be working fine.

I was planning to reactivate WSA Sync this Easter, starting from scratch by using a new European keycode Joe had kindly provided me with as my keycode is currently USA region which inevitably entails sync slowdown speeds for me living in Europe.

Now I'm not at all sure. It is crazy that a programme that is supposed to sync data is, apparently according to what you say, still destroying data (ie. file reversion).

9. STV0726

Bump...this is of utmost importance, right underneath something like WSA being rendered inoperable by a zero-hour threat.

Official word?

My guess is the problem can only be solved by returning to the drawing board, so to speak, and overhauling the system. I know that will be denied and probably put off until version 2015, sadly. :thumbd:

10. STV0726

Radio silence? Really? What is so difficult about this? Other sync solutions have like no major issues yet the absolute geniuses at PrevxRoot can't make a basic sync work when they've done much more impressive feats?

I'm irritated because this, to me, indicates a lack of making this issue a priority. Well, it should be. Damaged files? Lawsuits? (I'm not threatening that, I'm saying someone could lose something immensely important and try to.)

The bottom line is, I'm getting to the "squeaky wheel gets the oil" point. I'm done apologizing for being critical because some members here don't like me when I'm critical or rant at Webroot. Sorry, they need the ranting now. Honey wasn't catching any flies.

This issue needs resolution for all and it needs it now. Not after 100 remote sessions and data gathering...overhaul and check all code now.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  11. PrevxHelp

Sorry... I was on a plane for most of the day. Hardly radio silence: you're waiting for a response from one very busy executive who can only write so many messages per day ;)

As far as we've been aware, all of the issues have been fixed for several months now after we released the revamped backend and client components from the debugging sessions with you and Muddy (and others). We have had no users with any issues on any files, until this message. If you could supply updated logs, that would be helpful. Edge conditions are always possible but I'd be very surprised if there was something more systemic wrong here as we have been completely stable and the issues before were deterministic and reproducible.

Also, are you enabling/disabling Sync at all, or are there any discrepancies between your system clocks? We store previous versions of files because, in some cases, a collision can occur if it is unclear which version of a file is the latest. This happens with every sync service, from Dropbox/SugarSync/SkyDrive/etc. and is why historic versions are needed to be stored. The logs will show more precisely what is causing it here.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  12. STV0726

Hi Joe,

The "radio silence" wasn't directed at you specifically. Sorry for the ambiguity of that remark.

I will provide you my logs once again. I am not disabling the features and my system clocks are both maintained by Windows 7 functionality.

What I can say is that an improvement has certainly been made. I haven't noticed the login issue or bug in which it temporarily states the user has less space than they do. Also, this is the first file reversion I have noticed in a long time, but it is still a major issue to happen even once. I also noticed the deleted file/folder respawn issue around the same time, so maybe my issue are connected.

13. STV0726

Just reverted the same darn file again. :mad:

14. PrevxHelp

Thanks, I just received your log. Could you PM or email me what file you just had reverted so that I can help the team narrow it down?

15. STV0726

"Learning Log"

16. Muddy3

Muddy3 Registered Member

Any update on this? I had been planning to migrate my SugarSync stuff over to Webroot Sync this Easter, but was somewhat perturbed to hear that the file reversion problem has reappeared yet again.

Can you give us an update on measures to resolve this problem Joe, and Steve have you had any repetitions of this problem since you last posted and/or any news on resolutions to your problems?

Hopefully and fingers crossed :doubt::doubt: ...

17. PrevxHelp

We have identified one case, causing some of STV's issues, and are still making progress on the rest. The latter is being caused by a resync occurring when it shouldn't be, when the device is offline for a long time. Resyncing is normal in general but this resync was triggered twice within 12 days which shouldn't be happening, and this case where the device is offline and then reconnecting is causing the historic synchronization issues.

18. Muddy3

Muddy3 Registered Member

Thanks for the update—and all the support! As I have the best part of a year left on a very cheap SugarSync subsciption and so as to be safe rather than sorry, I'll wait a bit longer to let you iron out any remaining problems before migrating back over to Webroot Sync.

19. PrevxHelp

Understood - and no problem at all!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.