Suite Of Freeware To Give All Round Protection

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by TerryWood, Jun 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

I have Win XP SP2

I use Avast Home
    Comodo PF
    Sandboxie
    AVG AntiSpyware with Shield
    Spyware Terminator
    SuperAntispyware
    SnoopFree
    Firefox
    Thunderbird
    NoScript
    Keyscrambler

Grateful any feedback on any glaring software omissions to make a more rounded protection, particularly in the area of protection against "drive by" infections.

Not a novice but certainly not an expert prefer set and forget type products but don't mind a bit of tweaking

Thanks

Terry

2. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

I'd disable the realtime shield in AVG, (or ST) just in case they both lock up/crash should they encounter malware they're both capable of cleaning. Might not be a problem, but you wouldn't know till it happened. Ironically, if it did, you could be worse off, as the malware might get a chance to start running on the reboot.
    I'm not that terribly knowledgeable, but it seems to me that you're pretty well covered. If you use sandboxie for any web applications, you're possibly more covered than necessary.
    I've found that with a similar lineup (Avast, Comodo, ST and Boclean in resident, FF/noscript, and also the MVPS hosts file) I've been malware free, and only scan sometimes with the demand scanners. They never find much, the occasional cookie, the occasional FP.
    And I'm not using sandboxie. Never could work out how to work it.

3. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Sounds a bit too much to me. Isn't your PC very slow

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Id just get rid of AVG and ST. SAS will be fine by itself for ondemand scans.

Other than that, your setup looks good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.