suite 2011,crashes, "utilities stopped working", still broke

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by aoz, Jan 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aoz

aoz Registered Member

HD suite 2011 , the ..xx.17 version (of october).
    trying to do backup.
    reproducible bug
    have details on

trying to even do just c: drive

VSS started
    scaning volume
    processing excludes
    gets to green bar, about 50%
    then, CRASH, (repeatedly), "a part of paragon system utilities has stopped working".

This is NUTS !!!
    the prior version of HD suite 2011 was able to back up the stuff.

HELPPPPPPPPP !!!!!!!!!!!
    thanks
    nicks

2. Arvy

Arvy Registered Member

It may be "nuts", but that's not really a lot of info to try to help with. We're not Paragon "pros" here, just fellow users. :)

Have you tried running the HDM Suite in its WinPE and/or Linux "rescue" environment, or just the main app as installed? What Windows version? Have you run chkdsk /r recently to check the drive itself for any errors? And last but not least, do you have "Hotcore" or any other (e.g., Acronis, EaseUS, etc.) device class filters installed?

3. aoz

aoz Registered Member

thanks for reply.
    I hvae just submitted a support ticket.
    this is reproducible.
    I did this a couple months ago, and it crashed; reported it to support, we tried to figure out some stuff;
    in the interim i reverted back to the ...15 version of HDM 11.

OK, today, installed teh ...17 version, latest.
    AGAIN, errors.

it is NOT my disk. CHKDSK is ok, and version ...15 WORKS

Scenario

running, whether trying to MBR 0 and drive C, or just drive C

the progress box shows up.
    MBR 0 gets SUCCEEDED

gets to drive C
    the detail box is visible.
    what i get is
    VSS started
    SCANNING volume
    "processing excludes"
    then green progress bar comes up, at about 50%
    THEN, I get the CRASH. and that is all I get; window comes up; states "a part of paragon system utilities has stopped working".

now you have as much info as I have.

NOW, there is a SECOND majoor bug in this.

WHEN this cdrashes, it ALSO crashes out ability to HIBERNATE. several iterations ago, I reported to support that when the program was runnning, and if people had SLEEP or HIBERNATE enabled, the program would just stop, and not indicate to windows that it was a running process, macihne went to sleep, and job crashed out.

Well, they fixed that, machine does not go to sleep if running.
    BUT, when it CRASHES with the above error, it has INACTIVATED hibernate, and it takes a major effort to restart hibernate (you have to defragment disk, turn hibernate OFF, get rid of hiberfil.sys, reboot, restart hibernate from command prompt, then reinstitute the power mode that allows hibernate

I have spent all day on testing this.
    it is reproducible.
    it is NOT on every machine; i have another win7 64 machine that I have tested this on,and it actually IS working on htis one.

It HAD NOT worked on that one a couple months ago, so i reverted back to prior iteration, and just this weekend have retried all this.

BUT, on the Home02 win64 machine, it IS a consistant crash.

any info, sugestions, etc, is appreciated on this.

nick

4. Arvy

Arvy Registered Member

Well, you've certainly persuaded me that it's a Paragon version issue and probably one that only their own support people might be able to demystify. Definitely beyond my feeble "techie" skills to help untangle for you.

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I agree with Arvy that it is very likely a Paragon issue that needs their staff to sort out.

However as a general troubleshooting comment, anytime I have something weird happening on a machine I often do a memory test. Yes, it usually passes but marginal RAM can cause very strange things to happen and running the test allows me to rule RAM in or out as a cause at least within the abilities of the diagnostic. Best RAM test is to substitute known good RAM.

I use Memtest86+, free from www.memtest.org . An overnight run is best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.