Suggestions for email clients that are small (not a suite), secure, privacy-friendly

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Fly, May 3, 2015.

1. JohnBurns

JohnBurns Registered Member

Agree - have been using EM Client (Free) for about 6 months and really like it. Previously used Thunderbird, but like EM Client is more.

2. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Years ago I used to use a very light mail client called Pimmy.I was surprised to see that the latest version 4.5 (according to "about" seems to have been updated in sept this year).I just installed it again (its freeware) and although the interface is very dated ,it still has quite a lot going for it.Its very small , light,has many filters .It does have a setup wizard of sorts but you would need to enter your pop/smtp server manually,though that shouldn't be a problem really.
    The latest version is here...zip or exe file.The authors are Italian and site is also in Italian but program can be installed in english
    http://www.geminisoft.com/#download

3. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

I've been using OE Classic Pro for a couple of months. I love it.:)

4. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

Doesn't seem to handle IMAP links with the mail server ? I personnaly want to use only IMAP handling clients because I use more than one PC and want my mail clients to be synchronized between themselves.
    Anyway, nice find !

5. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

You're right IMAP is not supported yet but, according to the developer, IMAP will be implemented "very soon".

6. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hey Buddel, thank you!! Very interesting.

roger_m was so very kind to post about OE for Windows 7, 8 and 10 from Run As XP.
    OE Run As XP was last updated on 19 May 2016:
    It would be interesting to compare the two of them.

Just had a quick view at the OE Classic Pro site. It seems to have a better help page. And the program seems to have better support for the TLS protocol (if your email provider supports that).

On which Windows version do you use it? And is it 32- or 64-bit?
    Thanks.

7. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

I use it on Windows 10 32-bit. BTW, their support is outstanding. They usually reply within a very short time. Just drop them a line if you have any question.

Yes, it would indeed be interesting to compare the OE for Windows 1, 8 and 10 and OE Classic. Cannot comment on the former one, but OE Classic is just great. Windows Live Mail is still installed here, but I don't use it often these days. Probably time to uninstall it now that I regularly use OE Classic Pro.

8. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    postbox one of the best email client i have tried runs even in portable mode on usbstick , i liked operamail the program , but they have't developed it anymore
    em client is great too (I liked more v6 then v7), sadly Postbox doesn't have a free version

thunderbird i always more slow

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  9. Fly

Fly Registered Member

@Buddel, @MerleOne, @FanJ, @mantra, @JohnBurns,

Do any of these programs phone home or not ? I mean, many of the free (nor even paid) clients phone home and send data pertaining to the contacts list, or messages sent ... If I'm not mistaken, Thunderbird does phone home ?

10. mantra

mantra Registered Member

just i got an email from em client about black friday , em client v7 for 12.48€
    nice how the black friday is now widespread in the wester europe ,don't know est europe
    maybe you be helpful seeing em client is really a great em client
    i like more PostBox ,it's the best , they don't celebrate black friday sadly

11. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

Good question, @Fly . I really don't know if these e-mail clients phone home. Haven't tested it yet. Can anybody shed some light on it?

12. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I really would appreciate that ... most likely, they all phone home, the question is what data do they phone home ?

13. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

It seems interesting: what about security ?

14. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

Here are two security-related features:

• Block external content in HTML emails - If checked, the program will show a message in offline mode and search for external content. If none is found, message stays in offline mode. If external content is found, a blocked content bar appears above the message - when clicked it puts program in online mode and downloads external images, scripts etc. If the option is unchecked, the program never shows blocked content bar and is always in online mode (images/other content always download automatically). This option can protect you from spammers who use external images to track if you've read a message or not.
    • Show URL preview window before navigating to it - If checked, when you click on a web link within an email message, the program will show a Navigating to URL window with the link address and you have to confirm the action by clicking OK button. If unchecked, clicking the link opens a web page immediately, without the intermediate notification window.

https://www.oeclassic.com/online-help-options
    FYI, you can find a Free and Pro version comparison chart here:
    https://www.oeclassic.com/order (bottom of page)

15. Fly

Fly Registered Member

@Buddel,

Any clue if/how/what oeclassic phones home ?

16. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

OE-Classic-Pro.png
    According to this window, OE Classic phones home to check for updates every now and then even if you don't click the "Check for updates" button. Unfortunately, I don't know if there are any reasons for OE Classic to phone home.

17. blacknight

@Buddel: sorry, I forgot to say: thank you !

18. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

No problem, @blacknight . You're always welcome!:)

19. Fly

Fly Registered Member

@Buddel,

Thanks. But I understand it's very common for products like these to phone home. Unless they are very, very old.

20. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

OE Classic 2.6 released (Free and Pro)

New features and Bug fixes: https://www.oeclassic.com/news

Download: https://www.oeclassic.com/

About OE Classic
    More info here: https://www.oeclassic.com/

Free and Pro version comparison: https://www.oeclassic.com/order

Please note that IMAP is not yet supported but, according to the developer, it will soon be supported by OE Classic.

21. blacknight

It sounds nice, my problem is that actually I use Incredimail, and I wonder if I could convert my emails in OE.

22. fblais

fblais Registered Member

I must admit I didn't search much, but how do you import emails from Thunderbird?

23. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

I have never used Incredimail or Thunderbird, so I don't know the best way to export emails from these programs to OE Classic. You should contact the developer, who usually responds within a day or two (sometimes even within a couple of hours).

24. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

IMO, the question should be: Why not use Thunderbird in the first place? I've been using it for many years with 5 email accounts (mixed POP3/IMAP) and as a RSS reader without any problems. And because of the numerous existing extensions it's more flexible than any other email client.

One suggestion, though: If you set it up anew I would choose the maildir format (instead of the default mbox format). So before doing anything else go to Options - Advanced - Advanced Configuration - Message Store Type for new accounts and select the maildir format. Absolutely reliable and snappy for me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.