*Suggestion*

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by CraitTech, Aug 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CraitTech

CraitTech Guest

I think it would be good if Spyware Blaster played a sound every time it blocked spyware from getting on the computer! :cool: That way I would that Spyware Blaster was working and doing its job. I am running Spyware Blaster, Ad-Aware, and SpyBot Search and Destroy. And sometimes Ad-Aware and SpyBot find stuff that Spyware blaster doesnt stop. Is this because it only stops ActiveX o_O o_O

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

SpywareBlaster's main protection is the blocking of a specific list of ActiveX controls. It does this by setting flags in the Windows registry that prevent specific ActiveX items from installing or running (these are the "kill-bits" that are mentioned on the SpywareBlaster webpage).

Unfortunately, since SpywareBlaster does not run in the background, and it uses these registry kill-bits to prevent the ActiveX items, there is no way for it to alert you that it's done anything. :doubt:

Since it only blocks ActiveX items (and some specific spyware-related cookies in IE6), that is why there are still items found by scanning tools like Ad-Aware or Spybot S&D.

3. CraitTech

CraitTech Guest

Oh darn. :'(

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I guess you could say that SpywareBlaster is the strong silent type. And it doesn't make a big deal out of all the good things it's done for you. ;)

5. Aslate

Aslate Guest

You could always try disabling the Spyware Blaster for say a week, run Spybot and Ad-Aware and see what comes up. Then turn it on and after a week re-run Spybot and Ad-aware. When you compare the two you can sort of get an idea of if it's working.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.