Suggestion for NAS protection

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by screamer, May 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Hi, I could use some suggestions for NAS protection. I have an old PC running XP SP2 connected to my network. I use it for file storage, BU's...
    It's a P4 2G w/ 2GB Ram, but for some reason it runs kinda slow. I don't want to overload it w/ resource heavy apps.

I'm not sure what kind of protection is warented (sp?) since I rarely have a keyboard & mouse hooked up to it, but is is on an active network (internet)

Currently I use Sygate (free) Firewall
    Testing: KAV 6
    Ewido 4 Plus (as resident)
    Windows Defender

Am I over doing it or could I use something else?
    Any thoughts?

...screamer

2. Notok

Notok Registered Member

If all the system is doing is NAS, then there's quite a bit of hardening you could do. Along with any tools, going into gpedit.msc (if you have XP Pro) would be a good place to start. If you really want it secure, you might consider one of the minimal Linux distros.

3. screamer

Thanks Notok, could you get into a little bit more detail on tools/hardening?
    I'm not as computer literate as I'd like to be (therefore these forums :))
    That's also the reason for sticking w/ XP Pro. I've looked into freeNas but was kinda scepticle (sp?). I don't want to wind up w/ a 40lb. doorstop.
    Also, so far how's the protection app's I've got? Can you suggest any others?

TIA,

...screamer

4. se7engreen

se7engreen Registered Member

FreeNAS isn't that bad, it supports Active Directory integration and has a decent web interface along with command line. If you wanted to test it you can download VMWare Player for free and FreeNAS has a pre-built virtual appliance ready to download. This way you could test it without worrying about messing up your current config.
    http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/55

5. screamer

Thanks se7engreen, but for the moment I think I'm going to stick w/ XP. To be quite honest, I'm not computer savvy enough to install VMware and a new OS. I'm still trying to learn all I can about computers: hooks, API's, parent child relationships... That's why I find these security app's so interesting.
    Well, Thanks again :)

...screamer