Submitting virus samples

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Webby, Jan 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Webby

Webby Registered Member

Hi all,

I just read the post from ronjor about submitting virus samples and here's a quote

Whats got me is the "'meaningless' benign signatures" bit, can somebody explain that please.

My NOD32 has the default settings and picks up virus warnings with great regularity as I crawl the web. I had between 20 & 30 one night after a mega crawling session on a project that I have joined.

What I would like to know is should I submit them to Eset to have a look at or will I just be wasting there time? I thought maybe more samples returned would make for a stronger and more reliable AV.

Thanks
    Webby

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I believe you can tell if it's a heuristic or signature detection from the virus warning. I would submit the heuristic ones since the signature ones are already in the database.

3. Webby

Webby Registered Member

Hi and thanks for the reply.

I must admit I'm not to savy on the technical stuff, thats why I have NOD32 set to default :D

Not at all sure about any of this :) I can only tell you that most... or all? of the warnings were "Probably a varient of.........."

Cheers Webby

4. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

You should submit any "Probably variant of ....." and "Probable New Heur PE" or other such messages. If it gives you a name like Win32/TrojDownloader.BA for example, don't bother as they already had the sample as it is a signature detection

5. Webby

Webby Registered Member

Hi all,

Ok guys thanks for helping me out with this question, I shall submit the ones that are not a 100% named.

Cheers Webby

6. kjempen

kjempen Registered Member

I'm going to take a guess here, but I think what's meant is non-working viruses (viruses that fail to do any damage or have been corrupted in some way). Also, some spyware/adware installs lots of files on your computer (could be even text-files or help files); PestPatrol for example sometimes even detect the harmless files that were part of the spyware (for example the text-files), and NOD32 only sticks to detecting the "real" threats. Or it could be that certain antiviruses (or antimalware programs, rather) react to chat clients (mIRC) being installed on a system or peer-2-peer programs (LimeWire). I have not yet seen NOD32 react to any program in this category. (It does seem a bit meaningless to add detection for these types of programs as they aren't really malware.)

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Submit the variants and NewHeur_PE samples via ThreatSense only unless you are more or less positive they are false positives. In this case, they should go to samples[at]eset.com directly.

8. Webby

Webby Registered Member

kjempen & Marcos

Thanks for your input and explanation, I've set up NOD32 to submit these samples

Cheers Webby

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.