Struggling with back-up generally... any advice ?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Old Monk, Dec 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

I could do with some general back up advice. I've read numerous posts and still not sure what my best options are.

To be honest, I have no critical data to back up and all I'm interested in is backing up to save time in the event of any major problems. I have reformatted in the past which is no great problem except being on dial-up, installing all the Microsoft patches afterwards is becoming a real chore. Having spent money on other security apps, cost is an issue as I can't warrant spending much when all I'm saving is time.

Some time ago, I got a magazine disc with Acronis True Image V.8 as a freebie. From that I created a boot recovery CD and backed up to CD. To cut a long story short, I no longer have Acronis on my machine and don't have the licence key.

I now have (again magazine freebie), Paragon Disk Back Up V.6 from which I have also now done a back up to CD but the version is limited and I can't seem to burn a Boot Recovery CD or do incremental back ups

This might sound daft but in the event of a major problem is it possible to use the Acronis boot CD and then restore all my data from the Paragon back up discs ? Please excuse my ignorance on this matter but back up is one particular area that I have really struggled to get to grips with ( taken me all this time to get a resonable handle on security apps generally)

Assuming I can't do that :doubt: and bearing in mind my limited requirements, are there any other cost free ways to back up to CD or get a boot CD compatible with the Paragon back up that I've done ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers

Jon

2. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, i've got loads of freebies from magazines, especially lots of Paragon stuff (i have about 4/5 different programs by them :D) i'm going to make a back too, but i think i'm going to use a new hard drive to backup to. they're really cheap. which magazine did you get the cd from was it PC Pro or Plus? anyway, if you need help you can usually ask at the magazine's forum.

or, if you can wait until i get a new hard drive i'll help you if we have the same Paragon program, i'll have a look for it, it was from a very recent copy of PC Pro/Plus.

if you want to use a new hard drive too you can get the same as me from this thread. i found it from a copy of PC Pro :D

Last edited: Dec 22, 2005
  3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, the program i'm going to use is Exact Image 7 SE by Paragon from issue#135 of PC PRO, January 2006. if you don't want to use a new hard drive it will backup to cd or dvd too

4. Old Monk

Hi there Iceni60

Thanks for the response. Back up to CD is fine for me at the mo. Might invest in external HD at some point if I ever get any useful data on my machine ! :)

Don't have the mag with Disk Backup V.6 to hand but it's in the shops at the moment. Do you find these freebies have their limitations even if it says 'full product' ? I ask as I can't find a way of doing the Boot CD on this version of Paragon V.6

Am I right in assuming that I can't use the Acronis Boot CD with the Paragon back up that I've just done ?

Thanks for the offer of help as and when you get your new HD - I'll brave the queues today and try and get that copy of PC Pro with Exact Image. As you say you're going to use it, do you mind checking by this thread just to see if I've got any questions ?

Cheers

Jon

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

before i say anything else make sure you get the correct cd/dvd the magazine has two versions there's a cd version and a dvd version and they always have different stuff on them. i'm not sure which i have and what's on it, i am looking now and there's a Paragon program but i can't run it to check as i'm not using windows :rolleyes: and they mention two Paragon programs on their disks. anyway, if one or both of us haven't got Exact Image generally, if you make enough fuss about it on their forum they offer to send it to you :D ;)

i have found the full Paragon products on the cover discs to be excellent. unlike some other programs they are up to date and, so far, have worked flawlessly.

i wouldn't think your boot cd will work with Paragon, there's a small chance it will though, there's only one way to find out...

i don't mind helping at all, as long as you'll help me too :eek: hard drive stuff can be abit complicated but i've never has any problems with Paragon's software. i'm sure we'll have no problems at all. if you need help PM me :)

6. Old Monk

Hi Iceni60

Will do - I'll look for it when we eventually get out of work ;)

I don't think I want to even try a restore until I really have to or at least until I have a back up verified as good.

Thanks indeed ! Not sure what help I can be :oops: but I'll certainly try. Anyway, once I get my hands on the disc I'll give it a try over the hols and I'll pm or post to let you know how I get on.

Seasons Greetings to you ( and all at Wilders :) )

Cheers

Jon

7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

make sure you do post here or PM me if you are unsure about anything.

here are some screenshots
    http://exact-image.com/screenshots.htm

here are some reviews
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/pexactimage.html
    http://www.pcplus.co.uk/reviews/software_applications/paragon_exact_image

the second review says it makes a partition on your hard drive and works from that, i've got 10 MB free on my XP partition i hope it can work from that. i don't think it will affect either of us though if we're just copying from our HD to CDs and another HD.
    it says it's £27 :D

8. Old Monk

Hi Iceni60

Thwarted on the freebie from PC Pro I'm afraid. All issues in shops are Feb 06 ! Different timelines in PC Pro world !

However, Paragon homepage is advertising Exact Image at £14 quid plus £6 for a back up CD on a xmas special. Can't really go wrong at that price so I think I might take the chance and dive in anyway.

Have a look in case I'm missing something. I'm off line now for a couple of days but I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers

Jon

9. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Old Monk~ Imho, if you are going to invest in an imaging program, I would go for Acronis True Image, if for no other reason the excellent support forum right here on Wilders!

Cheers and happy holidays... ~pv

10. Old Monk

Hi PV

Generally speaking I would normally go for products supported by Wilders - I am now a registered user and fan of NOD32, LooknStop and Process Guard. Also use some of Javacool's really useful products. However, on this occasion, for reasons stated in my first post in this thread, I'm prepared to try something a little cheaper. I know, I know, in general you get what you pay for !

The links that Iceni60 posted a little earlier seem to suggest it's user friendly for an infrequent, novice user, so I'm happy to give it a try.

Anyway, too late now ! Gone and bought it :eek:

Appreciate your input though pv and happy holidays to you also :)

Cheers

Jon

11. Notok

Notok Registered Member

That's too bad, Acronis has a 40% off special right now using the coupon code CHRISTMAS. You could also have used DriveImage XML, which is freeware.

12. Old Monk

Hi Folks

Ah well :doubt: You pays you're money and takes you're choice ! Time will tell if I've made a bad decision and there's always next Xmas Notok :D Thanks anyway for your help

I am curious though. To any other Paragon user, what are the differences between Drive Back-Up and Exact Image. All I can glean is the cloning of a hard disk.

Iceni60, have you tried this software yet ? I intend to give it a run over the weekend so I'll post my experiences good or bad next week.:eek:

Cheers

Jon

13. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, i have it installed and i just booted into windows to have a look at it. i'm sure it will be fine, i hope. i haven't got enough space to make it's backup capsule, so i hope i can just image the whole thing to a new drive o_O

a backup is when you backup any part of your drive it doesn't have to be the whole thing. an image is the whole drive.

14. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi,
    You can download all windows updates released for a given product from their site. That way, any time you reinstall, you'll have the updates ready on a disk.
    It takes time and it's incremental, but save a fresh copy every month after new updates are released and you'll have a disk with all updates.
    For instance, I have disk with xp updates from sp2 onwards.
    Mrk

15. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Have had no problems with Ghost 9.0. (try and find Ghost 7.0 at the software sites; very cheap now)

Good guide here http://ghost.radified.com/

Good forums too.

This site good stuff and free trial: www.terabyteunlimited.com/imagew.html
    On the trial you can make as many backups as you like, when the trial is over, can only do restores fom those backups, not make new images.

I think these sites have been discussed elswhere.

Good luck
    Proper backup saved me after recent HD hardware failure.

16. Old Monk

Hi there

Okay, I've tried Paragon Exact Image and the imaging seemed to go alright. I chose all options with the Recovery Boot CD but was a bit in the dark with exactly what I'd actually got there especially with the ISO image.

However, a few days later I went to defrag and my only partition was quite fragmented. Defrag hung for about 40 mins,started got to about 17% and then said the volume couldn't be defragmented. Tried several times but same outcome.

Eventually, I removed files of Exact Image (and Drive Back Up previously installed) and the fragmentation receded and after removing all vestiges of Exact Image and Drive Back Up my C drive no longer needs defragging.

Any thoughts what could be the cause and how I might overome the same scenario if I try again with Exact Image. There forums are a little short on info

Point taken Notok :oops:

Thanks Mrkvonic, good idea and I've had a look but I'm not sure I'd know exactly which updates etc I should save to disc and which are safe to ignore.

Good back up options seem possibly easier unless you can elaborate ?

Thanks Longboard - I'll look there too :)

Cheers

Jon

17. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

the backup is stored on the partition you are trying to defrag, so before you make a backup you need to defrag your drive, as it is it sounds like the backup is getting in the way so the defrag can't complete. the windows defragger should move files to the front of the drive, try and do it in safe mode so there's less chance of a program being in use.

if after you have defragged it looks like some files haven't been moved you could try running dirms in safe mode.
    http://www.dirms.com/

put dirms, by it self not in a folder, in the windows or system32 directory then open a command prompt and type this:
    dirms c move lcn

after that you should be ready to make a backup.

18. Old Monk

Okay -thanks again Iceni60

I made the mistake of posting in another thread recently without fully getting to know the app in question inside out - so I will download Exact Image again and try and to fully understand the process before I post again.

I'm sure questions will arise but I'll start a new thread as and when they arise on a step by step basis.

Back -up/Imaging is still not a major issue as I have no critical data to lose but I would really like to get a handle on it :D

Cheers

Jon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.