Streetlife users in Nextdoor privacy row

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by TonyW, Feb 9, 2017.

1. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

UK social network for neighbourhoods Streetlife was recently taken over by the American version Nextdoor. However, some UK users of Streetlife who transferred to Nextdoor have found differences in attitudes to privacy.

Streetlife users in Nextdoor privacy row: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38920906

Are US users of that site really happy to have their home addresses on display?!

2. Alexhousek

Alexhousek Registered Member

"Happy" probably isn't the best term to describe it. At least for me, it's about "neighborhood" and getting to know your neighbors. Yes, I realize that in order to join Nextdoor, people will know where I live. But, the truth of the matter is that in most instances, they can find that information just by Googling my name or paying a small fee to some whitepages website. And, they can see my house on Google maps.

I choose to participate in Nextdoor because I live in a relatively small sub-division and I like to meet new people.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.