Strange problem with ATI8

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by MerleOne, Mar 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

Hi all,

I have noticed a strange and annoying problem on my system with ATI8 (latest build). I have a Dell4700 with XP Home on the C: partition, and several other partitions. A few weeks ago, I installed the demo version of Rollback RX. Soon after, I realized that TI8 was no longer able to save the C: partition, the same one that was protected by RBRX. I thought at first this was a RBRX "feature", but since I have uninstalled it, and reverted to a "normal" C: partition, TI8 still refuses to save C:.

It starts OK, analyzes the partitions, then C: and it just stops here. TI8 stays at 0%, with 50% CPU usage.

Even stranger, when I boot with an TI8 recovery disk, even in that mode, the C: won't be processed by TI8. I have used other imaging software on that same partition since, they work fine.

Thanks for any help,

2. simusphere

simusphere Registered Member

Well if I were you I would restore my system back to a point before you installed RBRX and see if the problem persists. It was working before you installed this program right?

3. MerleOne

Thanks for your reply. I could definitely do this, but I almost convinced it won't work : if I use the Acronis Recovery CD that launches TI8 at boot, TI8, in this recovery mode, won't either save the C: partition. The current partition has been tested with chkdsk and other tools and they all say it is valid. I really think it comes from the state of the MBR, and restoring the partition won't change the MBR.

Also, my last "safe" image is almost one month old, I have made quite some changes since.

4. simusphere

simusphere Registered Member

I meant restoring your full disk image backup which includes the MBR. If that image is one month old then thats what I would do. Do you have backups of your data?

Just make some backups of your current data that you don't want to lose before restoring from the previous image. I always backup my data on a USB drive so it is separate from my image backup which is mainly for restoring the system and not the data. I have no idea why Acronis does not include an option to save the MBR separately but I end up doing it from a Knoppix CD. Then I include the mbr.bin file with my backup image file. It is a few extra steps but it has saved me in the past so I will continue to do it.

5. MerleOne

I see. Actually I just backup some of my disk partitions, because the whole disk is too big. TI8 only saves the MBR when the full disk is saved. I may have some MBR backups somewhere , made with Terabyteunlimited's BootItNG, the trouble is I think I updated them after Rollback RX...

6. MerleOne

I have to apologize : I finally did restore my C: partition from a backup made 6 weeks ago. I did not restore the MBR (at least I don't think so). And TI8 started to work fine again. So the problem was really with the partition itself after all.

Thanks again for your suggestion !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.