Strange NOD32 alert

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by gaslad, May 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

I have been reporting this issue over the span of numerous builds, current running v4 4.2.71.2 | The scope of this issue I would have to agree is way beyond cosmetic. :ouch:

There have been some through this very long thread that have stated they never see this issue, there have been others that stated same, regardless of build in the v4 family, regardless of OS in the Win family are continuing to see this. I am an IT Pro, so I know it's an annoyance popup when I see it.

I would have to agree for an at-home, business or corporate user, it is difficult to differentiate between a genuine popup flag and an annoyance.

Hoping this bug is not carried over to the v5 family as I am very much looking forward to the final release.

The bug has been cited on the Beta, the preceeding link would be one that I have found since I have not been following the Beta releases threads.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  2. ProTON

ProTON Registered Member

I'm sad to report that this bug still exist in 5.0.93.0 :(

I just opened NOD32 Antivirus from tray icon, went from Home to Update screen and got the ghost message.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  3. rnfolsom

rnfolsom Registered Member

I had been wondering whether I should upgrade from NOD32 version 4.2.71.2 to the latest non-Beta version of 5.x. Given Proton's report that the bug remains in 5.0.93.0, at least for now, I will not upgrade, because (on two Win2kSp4 laptops, a Dell Latitude C840 and an IBM A31) I have not yet seen the bug, in 4.2.71.2 or any preceding versions of NOD32. (However, I think --- but (given the length of this thread) am not sure --- that other Win2kSp4 users have seen the bug in 4.2.71.2.)

Sometime in the next week or so I will be putting 4.2.71.2 on a very simple (special use) Windows XPsp3 Dell Latitude C800 (very ancient) laptop, and if I see it there I will report that on this thread.

Roger Folsom

4. siljaline

If you do a fresh install of v4, Roger, it may take a while for the issue to manifest itself, or, it may not.

Related thread that shows the bug has crawled into the v5 build :ouch:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  5. Ego_Dekker

Ego_Dekker Registered Member

I'm using Screenshot Captor. And what i've noticed.
    1. NOD32 is disabled. When I'm grabbing a fixed size region then the ghost flag is appearing.
    2. NOD32 is enabled. When I'm grabbing a fixed size region then the ESET icon is changing from 2.png to 1.png for a few seconds in my Windows Vista system tray.

6. siljaline

Another Ghost Flag on a v4 business edition:

Attached Files:

7. tonberry

tonberry Registered Member

After reading this whole thread, seriously people, I think Sanchehl had the solution in the first page of this topic. It's really not as technical as some have made it out to be as a result of overthinking.

I'll refresh it for you all again, In advanced settings, go to User Interface>Alerts and Notifications and select "Display only notifications requiring user intervention". There is nothing wrong with doing this and you will still be notified if anything needs to be done. ALERTS will still be shown! The 'ghost' balloons (which are really just info balloons) down the bottom right of your screen should stop (seriously, do you really need to know every time it has updated your database??)

Your 'ghost' flags are linked to telling you your virus database/program updates etc have been updated. Hence if certain settings are disabled from showing certain pop ups, it will still come up but the pop up won't. It's just telling you something has happened. Now you can call this a bug, useless annoying pop up or whatever but it seems pretty logical to me how to deal with it.

I had this same problem and have done what I've mentioned above. I'm running Eset SS v5 and have not received any ghost messages since.

Another point to make is that if you're in gamer mode (for those that use it) I'm pretty sure the pop up will wait till you exit gamer mode so will show up straight after that. It seemed to always do that after I exited any full screen applications that trigger gamer mode.

There will be variations to this as to what settings you all have enabled/disabled so I'd advise to look over them in detail if this problem really annoys you.

Hope this helps ;)

8. siljaline

Display only notifications requiring user's interaction
    This is not a default setting. This, over the entire length of this thread, was not suggested as being enabled to avoid the ongoing Ghost Flag issue.

9. Darkling

Darkling Registered Member

I have the same problem. I noticed if for example open BS Player and double click for full screen the message appears. (Not always) I also see this happens whit other programs. I use W7 x64 and Nod32 5.0.94.0

10. siljaline

Ghost flags | alerts have been noted in ESS v5 and EAV v5 as cited in this thread. :ouch:

11. siljaline

12. ProTON

ProTON Registered Member

Clearing the cache did not solve the problem. Filled the bug report at Customer Care.

Also it seems that the problem could be more severe than just a cosmetic. Take a look at the attachment. ESET partially unloaded itself.

Attached Files:

13. siljaline

My Cusomer Care request is underway, ProTON

14. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

This is a completely different issue. Your ekrn has been disabled either by malware or somehow else. Does the problem persist after a computer restart? If so, supply customer care with a SysInspector from your machine for perusal. If ekrn is listed among running processes they'll need to get a complete memory dump of ekrn.exe from the problematic state as well.

15. Zardoc

Zardoc Registered Member

Man, this is silly and has been going on for too long.

This needs seroius attention. 1 year is not serious :oops:

Dim the lights disable this and that. It becomes pathetic. Install and forget that's what user wants and that's what I had with version 4.

Come on guys.

16. ProTON

ProTON Registered Member

Maybe yes, or maybe not. At least this is not a malware issue and I really don't have any exotic software running when this happens. Just couple IE, Adobe Reader, MS Word, MS Outlook windows. It already happened three times. Most of the times this happens after the same ghost message appears which is mentioned in this thread. One time it happened just right after virus DB update.

After PC restart everything returns to normal. Until the next time.

17. mastavic

mastavic Registered Member

I've been getting this for weeks and it's rather annoying. I've been using NOD32 for years and have recommended it to dozens of people, but seeing that this issue has been around for some long makes me want to uninstall this software. I've been meaning to check out Kaspersky for some time now, and this may be it.

18. marti

marti Registered Member

I have KAV on my new smart phone, as the ESET version is in Beta and I was unable to get any support. I too am thinking about using KAV on my computers (3 of them run an AV) when my licenses to ESET run out.

19. Cosmo32

Cosmo32 Guest

siljaline,
    Thank you for keeping this thread alive. I can appreciate that this issue may be very tough to nail down. Thankfully, this intermittent 'window', for me, only appears to be confusing and a mild irritation. Otherwise, I feel safe and secure. This situation is a bit of tarnish on an AV app I have used since 2006. I have no plan to trade my loyalty to ESET at all!

ProTon,
    I can confirm that this 'widow' issue is present in the V5 A/V beta, RC, and full release version. Confirm that this was also present in V4 AV, both home and BE. I use the latest V5 AV on 3 WinXPpro clients, fully patched, and all of similar hdw build and age. I run mvps Host file on all 3. I run MBAM on 2 (demand-only).

Personal Speculation: ESET may have a counter of 'days since last scan'? When the 'window' pops up, I open the ESET window and seen nothing suggesting a concern. I then check the date/time of my last 'Run Smart Scan' and usually see it has been 10-14 days past. I do a 'Run Smart Scan.' Clearly I am no expert here.

20. siljaline

Regards, Cosmo32 :thumb: I'm seeing the flags on a daily basis, at least I know what they are. For a typical user, they would be alarming.

I was at a client yesterday running a V5 trial, same thing on Win 7 français.

Bump as required with screenshots or as flags arise on your PC.

21. Cosmo32

Cosmo32 Guest

siljaline,
    Thank you. I will 'bump' as necessary. Now, I am sorry to see yet another topic about this issue; but only 3 panels. Had I known of the newer 'topic' I would have added there. Sorry, I do not know how to cross-thread; I suspect it is frowned upon anyway! Mostly, I was trying to aid you and address 'ProTon's' query about V5. Whatever? Happy to toss kindling into the fireplace!

22. marti

marti Registered Member

I don't know if I mentioned in this thread that I installed ESET Security Suite on a new laptop last year. I don't know what version of the s/w I installed at the time, but I started getting the pop ups within a few days.

23. ProTON

ProTON Registered Member

I don't run any regular scans, so the problem must be somewhere else.

It's just strange to me that AFAIK ESET still didn't confirm this bug and cannot reproduce it. So many users with this problem.

24. poison

poison Registered Member

I also have the same problem and tonight decided to do a search and found the thread.

Also my NOD32 and Windows 7 programs and features reports that it is v 5.0.95.0 but secunia and SUMo report 5.0.94.0

NOD32:
    SS_20120205_224352.jpg

Secunia PSI:
    SS_20120205_224424.jpg

SUMo:
    SS_20120205_225059.jpg

25. Danutak

Danutak Registered Member

Every day, a few times a day Ghost Flag @ ESET
    It never stoped for me
    V5, w7, 64

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.