strange monitor problem

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by cet, Aug 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cet

cet Registered Member

When I click on the power button, the PC operates but the Samsung LCD screen is on standby(monitor power blinks).My PC is doing this thing for about 15 days . PC is booting but the screen will come on after 1 min or so(I do not see the grub options or the bios options), this only happens on first boot not restart. I have checked the cables and everything seems right.I am using dual boot Ubuntu LTS 12.04(xfce 4.08 ) and windows XP.
    Can it be the monitor or the PC or the latest ubuntu xorg updates?

2. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

This is worth a try...

I have an Acer monitor that periodically decides to take forever to turn on.
    I called their tech support and what he told me to do fixed the problem.

He said I need to do a "power reset", wherein I turn off the monitor, unplug it either in the back or at the power source, then hold down the power button for 20 seconds. Then release button and plug the monitor back in, and it should come on. He said that over time static electricity builds up in the monitor and that I was in effect doing a power reset by unplugging the power cord and plugging it back in. He thought this would fix the problem, or perhaps I'd have to do it periodically.

I have to do it about every six weeks.
    HTH

3. cet

cet Registered Member

Thank you,I tried it but it did not change anything.The problem should be somewhere else.

4. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Perhaps graphics card (if you have one in expansion slot)? Unseat and reseat? Last time I had these symptoms, graphics card was shot, I replaced it and that was it.

5. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

It was a longshot. Wish it had worked for you.
    You could connect the monitor to another computer and see if it works.
    That would narrow down the problem. Good luck.

6. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

so far i get is you get blank screen then monitor starts after few seconds and its desktop not laptop please correct me

i guess its ram problem or dust on your ram slots you have to remove ram its easy clean and them with new unwet paint brush or low flow air blower

or

use gparted cd and run a ram test if it work then maybe problem with monitor which like Page42 said test on other pc

also check your cmos battery maybe it become old check your clock on pc as well it maybe one reason too just a wild guess

but mostly black screen occur due to ram problem or dust on ram slots which so far i found on my pc

please be careful on removing ram and when insert them make sure you power off everything or it might shot also when insert ram dont make it too tight/hard you could damage slot or loose (deep insert it wont work) and please check make 100% sure that you put ram locks properly.

its easy just do it with care but before that try parted magic and do ram check if there no error then dont do it.

home one will help to solve your problem :)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  7. cet

cet Registered Member

Thank you for all the suggestions,I tried the monitor on another PC and the problem was the monitor.It was 5 yrs old Samsung LCD.I bought myself a new led Philips monitor and I love it :)

8. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Another happy ending. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.