Strange LNS problem

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by Harold77, May 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harold77

Harold77 Registered Member

I've encountered a strange problem with LNS 2.04 P2.

I have a P4 3.06 GHZ processor and when I have Hyper-Threading enabled, when I surf with IE 6, it will sometomes lock-up my processor at 100% in Task Manager, with IE using 50% and System using 50%, and I can't end the IE process in Task Manager... with HT disabled no problem exists.

When the problem happens, IE 6 remains in the Connected Applications panel in LNS even after I exit the browser, but no outgoing connection is shown in the Log function,

Using Port Explorer 1.62, when the problem happens and I exit IE 6, all the connections that IE 6 was using show as Listening, but never close no matter how long I wait.

This usually happens at sites with video/Flash content, but sometimes as soon as I start IE 6 it happens.

After quite a bit of trouble shooting, I uninstalled LNS and tried Sygate 5.0... the problem does not happen when using Sygate, I also tried Outpost and it works OK as well.

I don't have this problem using Netscape 7.02, just IE 6 and the only way to clear it is to reboot.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

It seems that at some very basic level in Win XP SP 1, there is a system resource conflict with LNS and IE 6.:)

2. Patrice

Patrice Registered Member

Hi Harold77,

nice computer you have! :p Did you encounter the same problem with Look'n'Stop v2.04 installed or just with the v2.04p2? I don't know if this will cure your problem. But I'm sure that Frédéric has to give you an answer about this. He certainly knows more about it as the developer of Look'n'Stop. Did you already send him an email? ;)

Best regards,

Patrice

3. Phant0m``

Phant0m`` Guest

Hey Harold77

Try Disabling Application Filtering Layer and running the tests again,
    Then if the problem still exists try Disabling Internet Filtering Layer, and if that fixes the problem then Enable Application Filtering Layer again and see if it’s still fixed or not…

Regards,
    Phant0m``

4. Harold77

This is a new computer, so I've only tried LNS 2.04 P2.

I'm still doing some investigation with this, so I'm going to try Phant0m's suggested troubleshooting sequence.

I tried exiting LNS and then surfing and the problem was still there, but I'm not sure that I don't have to disable LNS and then reboot to see if running without LNS at bootup still has the problem, I do know that uninstalling LNS and then rebooting clears the problem.

I'll try some of these things and get back with some answers.:)

5. Phant0m``

Phant0m`` Guest

Thanks Harold77 ;)

6. Harold77

Well I just tried disabling Application Filtering, rebooting and then using IE 6, but the problem is still there.

I then disabled Internet Filtering with App Filtering still disabled, rebooted and IE 6 is still not working right.

I also tried disabling, Packet Inspection and Anti-Flood in Options, but that doesn't help.

To make this problem happen, all I have to do is go to http://www.discovery.com/ and try watching any of the video or pictoral selections and in a short while everything slows to a crawl and I get the hourglass next to my mouse cursor.

When this problem happens IE 6 either goes to 99% in Task manager or it goes to 50% and System goes to 50% in Task Manager.

Whatever is causing this, once IE 6 locks up, it is impossible to terminate the IE 6 process and release the CPU load without rebooting.

7. gkweb

gkweb Guest

weird problem, don't you have any other problem with any other of your applications ?
    Or is it only with Look'n'Stop ?

I believed that if one application was "multi-thread capable" it would use it, and if not, wouldn't use it, but not cause problem or hang.

Stange problem.

hmm.... if the pb is weird.... let's try a weird solution :D
    Right clic on "looknstop.exe" (located by default : C:\Program Files\Soft4Ever\looknstop\)

then, "properties", "compatibility", clic the first checkbox and try run looknstop.exe in windows 2000 compatibility mode, regardless the fact that you have probably windows XP ;)

I know one case where this solution solved a pb totally different, but it's just an idea, nothing more.

Hold us inform pls, thx ;)

8. Harold77

Hi gkweb

I've sent Frederic all the inormation on this problem that I can gather.

The only other application that causes this problem is RealOne Player when I try to play any video clips (playing music works fine), WMP 9 works just fine BTW when playing vdeo.

RealOne works normally with Sygate and Outpost, if I try to play a video clip with it using LNS, it doesn't just cause the CPU to go to 100%, it locks up everything (mouse included) and I have to do a hard reset in order to reboot and clear it.

So whatever system commonality exists between LNS, IE 6 and RealOne may be the source of the problem.

I'm using Sygate Pro 5.0 right now with HT enabled and it works just fine, I've also tried Outpost Pro 2.0 and it causes no problem either.

I really hope Frederic can find a solution because I really prefer LNS to either Sygate or Outpost.

I don't know if this is a problem specific to my particular hardware/software setup, but I wonder if this could be a future problem as more processors incorporate HT technology. :)

9. gkweb

gkweb Guest

Hi

Indeed, if this problem is directly related to HyperThreading, the pb should be adressed.
    But it seems to be hard to find someone else with HT CPU, no one of my friend have one, so i don't know anyone else that can test it.

Let's hope that Look'n'Stop team will find the solution :)

10. Harold77

Maybe this is a good excuse (as a business deduction of course) for Frederic to upgrade to a P4 with HT capability. :)

11. gkweb

gkweb Guest

:D

may be ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.