Strange issue occuring after 4 days uptime

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by tommy456, Apr 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tommy456

    tommy456 Registered Member

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2011
    Posts:
    137
    I have in the recent past had this happen before today, After 4 days or so of continous system uptime eset ss appears to loose all the ssl certs trusted and excluded, And it starts asking for user action to allow/trust or exclude the ssl cert when visiting a secure site ect, if i select allow/trust the cert ,eset then fails to connect to the site, it also stats to fail to check send /recieve email via outlook or outlook express and it doesn't even display the pop up box for the ssl cert, It makes zero difference if i total disable ssl scanning or https ect, even excluding browsers & email clients makes zero difference,
    Basically for some unknown reason anything that uses a ssl you are unable to connect to it , A reboot will revert things back to normal, But this should not be happening at all
     
  2. tommy456

    tommy456 Registered Member

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2011
    Posts:
    137
    I have in the recent past had this happen before today, After 4 days or so of continous system uptime eset ss appears to loose all the ssl certs trusted and excluded, And it starts asking for user action to allow/trust or exclude the ssl cert when visiting a secure site ect, if i select allow/trust the cert ,eset then fails to connect to the site, it also stats to fail to check send /recieve email via outlook or outlook express and it doesn't even display the pop up box for the ssl cert, It makes zero difference if i total disable ssl scanning or https ect, even excluding browsers & email clients makes zero difference,
    Basically for some unknown reason anything that uses a ssl you are unable to connect to it , A reboot will revert things back to normal, But this should not be happening at all
    Further info I found this entry in the eset events log 27/04/2013 Personal firewall
    An error occurred while starting proxy server. Analysis of application protocols (POP3, HTTP) will not function
    . Could this be the cause, BTW i don't use a proxy server , nor do i have such configured in eset or any other apps
     
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  3. dwomack

    dwomack Eset Staff Account

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2011
    Posts:
    588
  4. Marcos

    Marcos Eset Staff Account

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2002
    Posts:
    14,374
    When reporting an issue, please always enclose the information about the operating system and platform you use.
    According to your previous posts I assume you're using Windows XP where the HTTP and POP3 traffic is routed via ekrn which acts as a local proxy.
    You can check the status of the TDI driver by running "sc query epfwtdi".
     
  5. tommy456

    tommy456 Registered Member

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2011
    Posts:
    137
    Here is the output from the CMD prompt & yes i'm running win XPSP3 x86 O/S Had a look at the eset solution, it refers to a windows service "Base Filtering Engine" I'm not 100% sure ,but i don't think Win XP has this Service, The associated bfe.dll file is not present in windows/system32 either , I ran the fix tool and rebooted ,still no bfe service running, And further googling, results would suggest that it is indeed a win7 file, so of no help to me, As for the downloading of the installation file being corrupted (unlikely and would be the first corrupted dload) the installation ?? well when the eset installer thinks that it's already installing (running x2) because it is somewhat buggy ,this wouldn't surprise me , IMO i think this is linked to the EKRN.exe failing to release it's private bytes when it should, which in turn seems to interact with the Lass.exe process causing that to Hogg ram also when browsing the web, eventually when insufficient physical memory is available, after most of all the other running processes have unloaded their private bytes and wrote them to virtual memory (EKRN.exe will do this last ) is after eset racks up memory usage again that this and other odd issues occur, such as the entire system becoming unresponsive,leaving only one option ,hard power off
    Code:
    C:\WINDOWS>sc query epfwtdi
    
    SERVICE_NAME: epfwtdi
            TYPE               : 1  KERNEL_DRIVER
            STATE              : 4  RUNNING
                                    (STOPPABLE,NOT_PAUSABLE,IGNORES_SHUTDOWN)
            WIN32_EXIT_CODE    : 0  (0x0)
            SERVICE_EXIT_CODE  : 0  (0x0)
            CHECKPOINT         : 0x0
            WAIT_HINT          : 0x0
    
    C:\WINDOWS>
     
    Last edited: May 1, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.