strange firewall alert

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by jima, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jima

jima Registered Member

Hi,
    I have a question regarding something I read on another forum. It did not happen to me, but I did not understand the response given to the poster. It seems he was concerned about his antivirus program when he received this warning from his firewall as he was running a virus scan:

Application Hijacking has been detected
    The application: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashSimpl.exe try to launch another application: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe to go to remote host sa.windows.com

He didn't say what firewall he had.

I do not understand exactly what was occurring here but I have this antivirus program and am somewhat concerned. Any response would be appreciated. Thank you

2. BlitzenZeus

BlitzenZeus Security Expert

I know what is going on, and I don't even run that firewall that assumed it was malicious. He launched the manual scanner, and it launched a help window, well the program automatically connected to that site on its own, the scanner didn't tell the program to goto that site.

This is a false positive.

On the launch of IE to display the help file, it went to sa.windows.com which means search assistant.... Its a default behavior.

3. jima

jima Registered Member

thank you very much for your concise reply.

4. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

I think it is tiny firewall hence the sentence:

Application Hijacking has been detected
    The application: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashSimpl.exe try to launch another application: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe to go to remote host sa.windows.com

5. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

You're wrong, I know that alert is by Sygate Personal Firewall. (www.sygate.com )

6. Infinity

that is why I said: "I think" maybe you should have said that too. because now you sound a little..ah forget about it.

the problem here is tiny firewall uses practically the same warnings when some process is spawning another process. and the only two firewalls I remember can control spawning are Tiny and Zonealarm.

But if you say it is sygate then OK, no prob.

it could be :D

7. Infinity

these are one of the million warnings regarding spawning etc

Application:IEXPLORE.EXE
    Access:Injecting code into other processes
    Object:SetWindowsHookEx(MsgFilter,ThreadId=0,Modul
    e=C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll)

it looks like the same structure a bit...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.