Strange ESET folders

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by rockshox, May 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockshox

rockshox Registered Member

I have a group of computers that connect via VPN to our network. These computers download updates via ERAS once the VPN is established. I've noticed on several of these computers that we keep ending up with some very odd named ESET folders. Opening the folders appear to have partial downloads of update files, but they aren't anywhere near the correct names for the folders (see screen shots below). I'm thinking it might have something to do with the slower connection through the VPN. Anyone seen anything like this before?

These two screenshots are from C:\ProgramData\
    eset_01.jpg
    eset_02.jpg

This one is from C:\Program Files\ESET\
    eset_03.jpg

2. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Disk errors of some sort, perhaps?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

3. rockshox

Thanks for the reply. No, there are no disk errors, and this issue has been on multiple computers, all computers that access the network via VPN and slower connections. It doesn't seem to cause any problems andI have scanned the oddly named folders with ESET and nothing is detected. I just stumbled upon the folders while working on several of these computers the other day and found them odd.

4. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

I can't recall having seen this before. Have you had a chance to physically get your hands on one of the remote computers to take a look at the contents of these directories? It might be revealing to know what their contents are.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

5. rockshox

Here is a screen shot of the folder structure and files in these folders. This computer had quite a few oddly named folders. Inside each of the oddly named folders is a folder named updfiles. Inside that folder there is either a file named lastupd.ver or upd.ver. Every folder was the same, except some contained lastupd.ver and others contained upd.ver.

eset_04.jpg

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

What version of EAV do you have installed? If v4, could you try installing ESET Endpoint Antivirus (v5) on one of those computers to see if it makes a difference?
    If you point a problematic computer to update from ESET's servers instead of ERAS, does the issue occur as well?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.