Strange DAT file I've downloaded and can't delete - please help!

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Stuey_Scouse, Apr 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stuey_Scouse

Stuey_Scouse Registered Member

Hi first post so I hope it's in the right section!

About a month or so ago I naively attempted to download Norton Anti Virus from Limewire.

(Please note I'm not trying to promote Limewire in any way if thats not allowed as I'm just looking for help and have since bought the genuine article anyway!)

I'd downloaded a few .exe files that particular evening and a few of them my anti virus flagged up as containing viruses. This Norton was a zip file with German writing and after I'd extracted all files I've been left with this DAT file on my C: drive that I can't get rid of.

The file is titled "ntuser" and is 3,072kb. However since I installed Nero the file has changed to a Video CD Movie file and now has a picture of a golden disc, the type normally associated with Nero.

When I attempt to delete the file I just get an error message saying "Cannot delete ntuser: It is being used by another person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again".

I am worried by the fact that I don't know what this is and can't get rid of it and by the strange message I get when I try to delete it.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Not an expert; you could use HijackThis to delete it on reboot, or try deleting it in safe mode.
    .DAT files don't usually contain malware, afaik, but store data on downloads etc.
    I have no idea why Nero has associated itself with the file type. That's a bit odd.

PS, as you now know, it's hazardous to download any exe file via questionable methods, and usually illegal also. Limewire itself is clean, if you got it from the homepage: what is downloaded using it might not be.

3. nick s

nick s Registered Member

NTUSER.DAT is a locked system file that stores individual user settings. It should be located here: \Documents and Settings\username\NTUSER.DAT. Under normal conditions, there is no reason to delete it.

Nero gets a bit aggressive with file associations for the file extensions that it works with. Nero's CD-DVD Speed tool saves its results in .dat format. It will do no harm to leave it as it is (the OS still knows what to do with it). You can always reset the association to notepad.exe by going to My Computer > Tools > Folder Options > File Types...

Nick

Last edited: Apr 8, 2007
  4. Stuey_Scouse

Over the last month or two when I do a scan with Norton it's regulary detecting something called a "tracking cookie". I always proceed to "fix" this tracking cookie with Norton but after a couple of weeks it's always back again.

Can anyone explain what this?

5. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Cookies are placed and stored on the computer whenever you browse the internet. They perform functions such as remembering whether you want to remain logged on to a site, page layout etc. Some store your surfing habits and transmit that info back to whatever site set them, in order to better target you with tailored advertising and god knows what else. They are extremely easy to get rid of...if you have a look at your temp internet files folder there's probably dozens...by just selecting delete. Some you would want to keep. You can usually set your browser to accept/reject cookies. I use a software called Ccleaner, after every browsing session. It's got a whitelist for cookies that are wanted.

6. Stuey_Scouse

Good news then sounds like it's nothing to worry about. We've not had the computer long I'm just a bit hesitant to sing up for things giving my debit card details and stuff.

Just wondering do people often get a seperate debit/credit card for using on the net or do most people just use their normal one?

7. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Nothing much to worry about normally. Every time you visit certain websites, they can be placed, but are easilly deleted. You can use something like a hosts file, spywareblaster, winpatrol etc to prevent the worst of them.

Can't speak for most people, but I just use the regular credit card. I am a bit choosy about which sites to use it on, though. (Eg, the bank, the airline, local and known shops, etc.) And I won't use it on a site that doesn't offer https.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.