Strange connection maybe?

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by Tom772, Dec 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom772

Tom772 Guest

Hi,

when I start my net connection on my computer I see my IP address and after it there is this address 239.255.255.255 that shows for a brief moment then disapears(standard blue, no red hidden connection thou), but when i use TCPview there is nothing like this so I was hoping someone could explain this if possible? Oh and I was trying Zonealarm Pro at the time?

I dont think i have any malware, as i have scanned with several online scanners including Kas and f-secure, T

2. Disciple

Disciple Registered Member

Is you OS Win XP, and could the IP possibly be 239.255.255.250? I ask because XP uses 239.255.255.250 like the localhost IP for component communication. FWIW - I have added 239.255.255.250 to the Trusted Zone in ZASS.

3. Tom772

Tom772 Guest

It might well be, and yes i am running XP. Im not totally sure what you mean by component communication is this to do with ZoneAlarm? Thanks the info,

T

4. Disciple

Disciple Registered Member

No not ZA, but Windows XP its self. XP is very chatty with its self, with the different components (exe's and even dll's) that make up the OS communicating with one another. Not unlike how Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer rely heavily on each other. If you do a Who Is lookup on 239,255,255,250 you will find in one of the comments section a reference to RFC 3171 which deals with this IP. Within that RFC there is yet another reference to RFC 2365, that offers more about the IP. (warning: RFC's are very technical and dry reading)

You are welcome, I hope this helps as well. Take care.

5. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

"Multicast IP addresses:

224.0.0.0 - 239.255.255.255

Addresses in the range 224.0.0.0 to 239.255.255.255 are set aside for the special purpose of providing multicast services in the Internet. (Multicast services allow a computer to send a single message to many destinations.) Various addresses in this range are used by routers and others are used by hosts that are listening to multicast sessions.

These addresses are available for any host that wants to participate in multicast, and typically are assigned dynamically. The source address should not be multicast (without prior agreement). The destination address may be multicast. For technical background information please see RFC 1112 and RFC 2236."
    http://www.iana.org/faqs/abuse-faq.htm#SpecialUseAddresses

http://www.iana.org/assignments/multicast-addresses

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multicast

Regards,

CrazyM

6. Tom772

Tom772 Guest

Thanks again CrazyM, for your help. Tom772 (at least its nothing to do with Akamai servers :)!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.