stopping kernel service

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by mastabog, May 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mastabog

mastabog Registered Member

Hi,

For testing purposes, I'd like to be able to stop the kernel service ekrn.exe. (I'm a paying customer before anyone jumps).

I thought that the self-defense option was there for this purpose, i.e. turn it off and then be able to easily stop or kill the service. I don't get the "access denied message" after disabling self-defense, but killing/stopping ekrn.exe still restarts it.

I know of two working methods

- disable self-defense, put the service on manual or disable, reboot
    - disable self-defense, rename ekrn.exe, kill ekrn.exe

I want to avoid rebooting so I'm using the 2nd method in a script ... is there a "cleaner" method of stopping the service (e.g. hidden command line options)?

Cheers,

p.s. on-topic answers highly appreciated

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Actually there are ways to do that with SD disabled, but we won't publish them as they could be easily misused by malware writers.

3. mastabog

mastabog Registered Member

I think I already mentioned (some of) them in my post above ...

However, if you do not wish to publish any such methods then what is the point of having a "Disable SD" option accessible to the user? (other than allowing the more knowledgeable users figure out a method by themselves)

Last edited: May 29, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.