Stopping downloads

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by mikel108, Oct 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikel108

mikel108 Registered Member

OK I came home tonight and its late. I notice that my recycle bin is missing, the standard wallpaper is changed, there are files that have been downloaded, and the MSN 7.5 messenger has been downloaded and installed. So I fix the missing icon, scan the pc and check the rest of the pc for mess ups. 1 hour of wasted time. My wife or kids have not followed the rules of the house again, DO NOT change anything. Especially when they are careless because dad.husband will fix it.

SOOOO. Is there a program, perferably free that will stop all downloads (at least EXE or ZIP files). And if its not hoping for to much something that stop people from changing settings?? Thanks as always.
    Mikel

2. westwardflow

westwardflow Guest

3. mikel108

Thanks! westwardflow.
    I am going to give it a try this week end. The pro version is only $17USD, so It won't be such a hit to upgrade. It looks full featured.

BTW.....The kids have an off day from school today (teachers conference). Anyways they both said it was not them that moved/changed things. Then my kids started to complain that they could not get the messenger to work, and that mommy was mad! LOL Had she listened to me when I tried to explain things she would have known that she had to allow the program through the firewall.

4. AvianFlux

AvianFlux Registered Member

5. mikel108

Thanks, AvianFlux. I did not know that MS had this.

6. AvianFlux

You got it, buddy. :)

7. interesting

interesting Guest

Something that may be of interest to those who may want to use Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit for Windows XP on a family computer as a parental control measure.

Taken from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...56-E3DA-42EA-857D-92B716077A84&displaylang=en

Warning: The Toolkit is not intended for use on family computers as a parental controls measure — many of the security features may have adverse effects on family computers. Be sure to review the Handbook section on restricting children on a family computer if you are installing the Toolkit at home.

8. AvianFlux

And don't stick cotton swabs in your ears, or remove mattress tags (a federal offense punishable by up to 10 years in jail, and a $10,000 fine!)

Your right. Read the Handbook.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2005
  9. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Hehehe.. "this toolkit is made for computers with multiple users. Warning: do not use this tool on computers with multiple users as it may have adverse effects".

Setting up limited user accounts is definitely the way to go in this kind of situation, IMO. The MS Shared Computer Toolkit will definitely help make that easier and more robust. Another advantage with that is that every family member will be able to customize their profile the way they want it without bothering yours. If the daughter wants bright pink everything, then she can! Even if you don't use the option to clear all changes, if someone gets infected with some malware, all they will infect is their profile.. which you can just delete and recreate. It might suck for that person, but it will only affect that person. If you have XP Pro, go into the control panel > administrative tools > local security policy. You will see all sorts of things you can change/restrict in there, including installing software.

Ultimately setting up limited user accounts will give them some of the freedom they are looking for (customizing their desktop, etc) while giving you the ability to restrict potentially harmful actions. It would work out better for everyone. Here's a very good resource for how and why to do so.. http://blogs.msdn.com/aaron_margosis/

Last edited: Oct 30, 2005
  10. mikel108

Hi Notok,

Limited user account was the way to go. I honestly had never used it before. I knew that it stopped downloading and installing new programs, but it does so much more. I thought that it shared the browser, wrong. I took a look around and almost every major setting has a denied, your not an administrator tag. This is excactly what I needed, .... why did I wait so long.

@westwardflo I tried that Wingaurd after making a limited account, but it made a lot of things redundant. It is a great program for free though.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.