Stop Using Frontpage or What?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by huntnyc, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

I publish uploading wmv and mp3 files to my Web site which is made in FrontPage (FP) 2003 but now I get server timed out errors when I attempt to upload some of these big (about 30 -40 MBs for WMVs) files. Server works fine for just HTML pages but not for these files.

1. Now, my problem. Should I change hosting services that might have Linux servers instead of Windows like I am using now?

2. Or, should I change from FP to Dreamweaver or some other editing program that may bet better FTP performance?

To beat all, cannot get FTP access to my site when FP extensions are enabled. Your help in this situation is appreciated. Have contacted my host and they are useless in this solution. Thanks for your help.

Gary

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Not sure what your problem is exactly, however:

1) MS FP is notorious for being non-W3C-compliant. In that regard, MS browsers also lag heavily behind other browsers in general compliance to web standards.

2) Therefore, you should try to write in neutral, cross-browser, cross-platform standard code, sticking to strict rules (HTML, CSS etc). The best way to do that is definitely not use FP, furthermore try avoid GUI and use text editors to create content. You will both learn more as well as avoid any program-made errors and inconsistencies.

I'd say, go for Linux-based hosting, with Apache (LAMP). You can't go wrong with that.

Mrk

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

huntnyc, I understand what Mrkvonic is saying about non-compliant coding and as a Macromedia Dreamweaver user, I also know that the cost of that now Adobe program is prohibitive for some, but are you using Cable or DSL to upload those files and is the hosting plan the cheapest one they offer?

Some ISPs throttle back bandwidth and speeds on their cheaper hosting plans, no matter what server OS is used, forcing one to upgrade and anything short of Broadband is painful given the size of those WMV files. However, you could try FileZilla, a Free FTP client and see if it improves your upload transfer speeds versus FrontPage's. Let us know the results.

Note: I also use FileZilla Portable quite a bit, from a 4 GB Corsair USB drive, without any major hit in upload performance yet no file of mine is ever bigger than 10 MB and use Cable as the transfer conduit.

4. huntnyc

Thanks for the input. yes, I am beginning to believe that they are throttling back the servers for the reason of forcing upgrade and their support is nonexistent. I believe Nick or someone had recommended bluehost dot com but also does anyone else have any good recommendations where you trust the service and where I could still use FP in transition and upload my WMV files as needed (lots of Web space required) and thanks.

Gary

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

huntnyc, many of my customers' Web sites are hosted by godaddy dot com and the few times that we have had problems, Support was very responsive; not to mention that their domain and hosting prices are super competitive. Call them up in regards to your FP usage (I believe they can handle FP server extensions).

Did you try FileZilla? Was there any improvement?

6. huntnyc

Did not try Filezilla but downloaded it. Have to disable FP extensions to use it with present hosting service. Really probably will switch either to BlueHost or GoDaddy. I know several also that use Godaddy with success but will call them tomorrow to confirm. Thanks a lot.

Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.