Stop Sign security==malware?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by bigc73542, Nov 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Just in case there is anyone here that doesn't know what Stop Sign security does in your computer after install

http://www.pestpatrol.com/PestInfo/S/StopSign.asp

2. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Hi Bigc.

I ran across Stop Sign early on when I started surfing.
    My first impression was that it was an A/V program.
    But it's definitely spyware.

Spybot S/D detects it as a spybot identified as"eacceleration"
    Spyware Blaster kills it as "eacceleration Stop Sign".

3. sig

sig Registered Member

StopSign first came to many people's attention when eAnthology was doing "drive by" downloads to PC's without the users' knowledge or consent if their browser settings were low enough to allow it. A mammoth thread from that time exists at the Broadband Reports Security Forum if anyone is interested in searching for "eanthology" or "stop sign" on google or in the BBR security forum.

As a result of the discussions and interest, Spybot S&D and I believe Adaware too added StopSign to their database lists. But evidently eAnthology keeps modifying things so the antispyware apps have to keep up to ensure effective removal. Most recently, PestPatrol seemed to have a handle on effective removal. Perhaps Spybot and Adaware have subsequently adjusted their methods as well to remove what some might call an infestation of a rather pernicious pest. ;)

StopSign apparently uses Dr Web as their AV, but given eAnthology/eAcceleration's history and methods, one would not recommend any of their products to anyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.