Stop PG from running

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Stro, Jan 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stro

Stro Registered Member

I want to uninstall PG 3.150 so that I can install PG 3.2. The automatic PG uninstall program, however, informs me that PG is running, and first I must stop it before uninstalling.
    So how do you stop PG from running?
    I've search PG Help, poked around in the program itself, and searched this forum. I could not find any information.
    Thanks,
    Stro

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i believe u have to stop the PG service which can be accessed thru start menu | control panel | administrative tools | services. find teh PG service and stop it or if not possible disable it and restart. a simply method to uninstall PG is to do so from safe mode. (upon starting/restarting windows) right before u see the startup logo, press and hold F8 til u see the boot menu and choose safe mode.

3. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

No !

To close ProcessGuard, open the interface and untick "protection enabled"

Then right-click the PG icon in the tray, choose EXIT. The interface has now told the protection driver to disable, and has detached from it.

You should uninstall from Start Menu > Programs > ProcessGuard because 3.150 will have problems if you uninstall from Add/Remove programs without disabling protection, this was an installer problem that we found when we rebuilt the installer code and driver uninstaller

An alternative is to uninstall from Safe Mode, this will work from either, and will remove all items.

4. Stro

Stro Registered Member

Thanks, Gavin!

5. redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98 Registered Member

i would go further.. disable PG's "protection" by unchecking "protection enabled", in PG's GUI; rightclick PG's icon in the systray and, from the menu there, click "exit", to close PG's GUI; then, open "task manager" and close any PG processes that are still running.. then run the uninstall from "add/remove"..

then, reboot, to complete the uninstall..

then delete any leftover files, as necessary:

"pghash.dat", "pguard.dat", "procguard.dll", all three, in c/windows/system32

"procguard.sys", in c/windows/system32/drivers

delete the PG folder in c/program files

in "task manager"/processes, PG's three running processes are:

1. DCSUserProt.exe

2. pgaccount.exe

3. procguard.exe

i suppose that an alternative would be to boot into safe mode, and then run the uninstall, but i am not sure how well that works (since that is not the way that i uninstall PG).

note that i am referring to PG 3.15..

i have never had any trouble uninstalling PG except for the one time that i tried to do it in safe mode..

it is important to close all of PG's running processes, using "task manager" to close the running processes, before running the uninstall (from add/remove).

Last edited: Jan 29, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.